Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN X by HP 17-ap010nr (laptop)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all!

I have a HP OMEN X 17in (ap010nr, i7 7700hq, gtx 1070, 16gb ram) laptop, and for the past couple of days I have been trying to install windows 10 onto to the laptop using an external USB drive which has a windows 10 ISO which i created using the windows media creation tool provided by microsoft.

NOTE- Right now, windows is not installed on the laptop

NOTE 2 - The USB drive I am using to install windows works and is not broken because I was successfully able to install windows on another laptop.

First let me run you through the steps I take to install windows-

1. I shut down the laptop, and insert the USB drive in to the laptop

2. I press the power button and then rapidly press escape to get to the startup menu

3. I press F9 to choose boot device, where I am presented with 2 options: boot using OS boot manager (my ssd), boot using USB (the USB i am using to install windows), I then choose boot using USB option

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-30 at 1.12.09 AM.jpeg

4. I am then taken to the windows setup wizard and choose install now and then advanced install option (the one that deletes all data)

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-30 at 12.53.40 AM.jpeg

(drive 1 is my ssd)

5. after choosing drive 1, I click next

6. After that windows gets installed on my drive

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-30 at 12.58.35 AM.jpeg 

(this proceeds as it should without any errors)

7. After that my laptop restarts and I guess automatically boots into the ssd and I get the following screen

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-30 at 1.01.53 AM.jpeg

The laptop DOES NOT get stuck or hang at the getting ready screen, it proceeds as intended (first it shows starting services, then getting devices ready and then getting ready)

8. (THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM STARTS)

After the getting ready screen, my laptop restarts once again and this time it GETS STUCK on this screen forever

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-30 at 1.03.27 AM.jpeg

I have waited for hours and nothing happens. ONE thing to note is that I can move and see my mouse cursor. ANOTHER THING TO NOTE is that when I say stuck on this screen I mean that THE DOTS DO NOT SPIN AND ARE STUCK in the position shown in the picture.

Additional things that I have tried that DID NOT WORK AND PRODUCED THE SAME RESULT-

1. Disabled secure boot in BIOS

2. Setup Defaults in BIOS (pressed F9 in BIOS to setup defaults)

I appreciate any help, Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello

you documented very well the situation.

for WIndows 10 I suggest you to avoid Legacy BIOS setting, even if in this case is not the cuase of the strange behaviour.

I never used a Omen but I installed in my long life thousand computers.

One thing I would try to do first, is to disconnect the 1TB disk. you will add it afterward. as it's not needed during the OS installation and to avoid to delete data during the steps I'm going to write below.

Then , we you arrive at "install Windows" , just before to discover the disk , press Shift-F10. this will open a CMD Prompt Window.

in CMD prompt type:

diskpart

list dis                     , you should see two disks: your SSD wihich MUST be disc 0 as you removed the 1TB drive , the second disk is the USB KEY

then you have to select your SSD , using the number shown , don't be wrong to select the disk

if you 256 GB SSD is disk 0 as expected, type

sel dis 0     - be carefull it must be your 256GB SSD

clean         - this will remove all partitions on the disc

exit

now you can continue to install Windows 10 in your 256GB SSD

if Windows is installed correctly, reconnect the 1TB disk

I hope this help

bye

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer, I tried what you recommended but unfortunately it didn't work 🙁

HP Recommended

Hello

that's is really bad.

are you sure the installation media is not corrupted ?

do you have another computer where to try it ?

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.