Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've searched through the forums and elsewhere, and it seems that others have had this issue.  I cannot change the default tray used by my LaserJet when printing through ePrint.  Tray 2 is set as the default in every location that I can find, both in Windows, in the HP app, and via the on-printer screen.  However, when I sent something via ePrint, the on-printer screen prompts me to feed Tray 1 (the sheet feed) and I have to click that away to allow the printer to use the regular Tray 2.  

Is there no way to set up ePrint to use Tray 2, which is the default setting used everywhere else for the printer?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So the ePrint job is asking for paper of size = Letter and type = Plain.

The fact that you get a prompt implies that the printer cannot match that size/type combination to the configuration of any of the cassette trays.

So the first question is: according to its paper handlng configuration, what does the printer think it has in tray 2, in terms of paper size and type?

I'm not sure how you can  influence what paper size/type is associated with ePrint requests.

Perhaps it is fixed (in that in North America it's probably Letter/Plain, or A4/Plain in the rest of the world, depending on where the device is "registered").

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Are you using the Chrome print promt or are you using the Windows print prompt, thanks.

HP Recommended

When printing from Windows - via Word, Chrome, Acrobat, whatever, it works fine.  The default of Tray 2 is used and everything works.  It's printing via ePrint (emailing to my @hpeprint.com address) which results in the issue.  I can find no way to set a 'default tray' for that method, so the confirmation on the on-printer screen is needed each time.

IMG_2409.jpg

HP Recommended

So the ePrint job is asking for paper of size = Letter and type = Plain.

The fact that you get a prompt implies that the printer cannot match that size/type combination to the configuration of any of the cassette trays.

So the first question is: according to its paper handlng configuration, what does the printer think it has in tray 2, in terms of paper size and type?

I'm not sure how you can  influence what paper size/type is associated with ePrint requests.

Perhaps it is fixed (in that in North America it's probably Letter/Plain, or A4/Plain in the rest of the world, depending on where the device is "registered").

HP Recommended

That did it!  I had changed the setting on the printer, for Tray 2, to Letter and the actual type of HP paper that I use.  Once I switched it to Plain, ePrint worked perfectly.  Now that the setting is in place, I'm hoping that it doesn't make a difference in the quality of printing that I receive, in terms of having specifically assigned the type of HP paper that I use, but I'll make that trade-off happily (because I'm sure it's negligible).

Thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.