Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Example:HP Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8620 printer and subscribe to HP Instant Ink. The printer is connected to the internet but won't connect to Web Services.

Uninstalled and reinstalled printer drivers as well as HP Smart App.  Can print from my iphone because it is seen on the network, but not from Windows 10 computer.

Very frustrated.  Not the first time I have had an issue with this printer. 

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I have the same printer and use HP Instant Ink.  I've had this same issue for a few weeks.  It came out of no where.  Everything had been working fine, then suddenly I get an email that the printer isn't communicating ink levels.  The printer is connected to the network wirelessly  and I can print fine.  Except now I have to click "OK" on the "Can't connect..." error on the control panel before it prints out. 

There are several people actively posting the same issue over the last week (like you).  I can't find a solution though and everything I've tried has failed, including:

• Connect/Retry from the control panel
  • Power off and on (including hard reset with power cord)
  • "Fix this" link from EWS page
  • Connect/Refresh from Instant Ink account page
  • Reboot PC, router, modem, and printer
  • Firmware/software updates
  • Firmware updates for router
  • HP Print and Scan Doctor
  • Reset network defaults and reconnect
  • Check and reset date/time on device
  • Manual IP and DNS assignment
  • Reset 802.1x security settings
  • Disable IPv6
  • Turn off Proxy (was Auto)
  • Verify no active VPN
  • Review every setting I can find on the control panel and on the EWS page
  • Finally, a factory reset to defaults...

After the factory reset I had to reconnect to the network again and web services now requires re-activation.  When I try to enable web services I get an error on the control panel and on the EWS page.  I've included a screenshot:

clipboard_image_0.png

Basically, this tells me the problem is on the server end.  If I knew what the IP address of the server was I would ping it to see if it was active (assuming it responds to ICMP echo requests). 

I appreciate any suggestions or solutions if someone else has figured this out.

HP Recommended

I've got exactly the same issue with my Fathers Officejet 8610.  He started getting errors about instant ink 3 weeks ago. I've just raised a question on the forum about it. Essentially I did all of the things you did, including the factory reset.... nothing worked. However, I now cannot enable Web Services at all since the factory reset.

As HP don't seem to publish the addresses or IP addresses the printer is trying to connect to it's hard to troubleshoot any further.

HP Recommended

Ya, there are pretty consistent complaints around that time.  Too bad we can't combine all these similar posts with the same issue into one.  Maybe it would get more attention. 

I was able to capture a few network packets coming from my printer and got a couple IP addresses.  They are registered to HP, but if you try to pull them up you get a "Forbidden" message.  That could be the problem, but I'm leaning towards a buggy firmware update.  Either way, I think we are stuck waiting for a fix from HP. 

HP Recommended

Meanwhile, HP has been kind enough to inform me via email:

To ensure that your HP Instant Ink service continues without interruption, please connect your printer to the Internet so we know when to send you more ink. HP Instant Ink cartridges will not work with your printer if it is not connected to the Internet.

Seems like HP is about to lose a bunch of subscribers if this is not resolved.

HP Recommended

Printer won’t connect to web services

HP Envy 5540 Printer
MacOS 10.14 Mojave

My printer suddenly stopped connecting to HP web services . Ie instant ink . No I’m not on holiday my printer is online with up address

i have spent days trying to contact HP hopeless support.

chat remotely accessed my printer settings and couldn’t fix

they then disconnected me 

I have reset printer using hidden menu

ie black screen left bottom corner four times

i have reset network connections

reset and removed cartridges 

chsnged dns to google services ie

8.8.8.8 alternative 8.8.4.4 

been disconnected from chat 9 times today with Ethernet gigabyte connection router (connection problems not my end ) HP still taking fee for instant ink. Over two weeks no sign of getting printer working   

HP Recommended

Printer won’t connect to web services

HP Envy 5540 Printer
MacOS 10.14 Mojave

My printer suddenly stopped connecting to HP web services . Ie instant ink . No I’m not on holiday my printer is online with up address

i have spent days trying to contact HP hopeless support.

chat remotely accessed my printer settings and couldn’t fix

they then disconnected me 

I have reset printer using hidden menu

ie black screen left bottom corner four times

i have reset network connections

reset and removed cartridges 

chsnged dns to google services ie

8.8.8.8 alternative 8.8.4.4 

been disconnected from chat 9 times today with Ethernet gigabyte connection router (connection problems not my end ) HP still taking fee for instant ink. Over two weeks no sign of getting printer working   

HP Recommended

I've sent the "HP Support" twitter account a message asking them to look at these forums. Maybe if a few more did this too it may focus their attention.

At the moment it seems their 1st line support is unable to help with this, but I'm not sure they're escalating it either.

It speaks volumes, that so far, there's been no-one from HP responding to these forum posts.

HP Recommended

Likewise!! I provided the date/time resolution on one of other threads that resolved this for me before, but not now.

8610 Printer is def connected to internet, as can check for updates ok and tells me no update available.

But, have the same as you all, cannot connect to web services, check internet connection etc.

This has been down now for a few weeks, so something within HP has changed or gone down for us all to be getting the same issue at the same time.

HP, please address this urgently, else will be cancelling instant ink having subscribed to it for over 4 years.

HP Recommended

This thread is worth a look:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Instant-Ink/has-anyone-really-solved-the-quot-connect-printer-to-up...

Kevin did some troubleshooting to identify what the printer was trying to connect to on the HP side and it looks like there's lots of failures to connect to HP servers, along with TLS handshake issues.

I then followed the same steps with my Envy printer, which is working, and it seems that the Envy tries to connect to different servers and has more success.

However, for performing software updates both devices got re-directed and then received a HTTP404 Not found error.

All of this looks to me like HP have either taken a server/URL down. It seems the printer interprets that has "You're not connected to the internet"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.