Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5020 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I  have  a message on my printer indicating a carriage jam, I've opened  the access door  (there was no jam)

but I have checked for any obstructions i.e. paper jam, made sure the cartridges were installed correctly, then pressed OK 

to proceed. the message is still there.

I've been on line to the troubleshoot  team and done all they suggest but the message is still on my printer.

I cannot print anything out, can anyone help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The "Carriage Jam" message may indicate an actual jam, or it may be caused by the sensor that detects the movement of the carriage. 

If the carriage properly moves to the middle when you open the lid as if you were changing a cartridge you might try cleaning the encoder strip as shown in the post here.  The encoder strip is fragile, please read and heed the warnings.  Only use water to clean the strip, not alcohol or any other solvents as the fine lines printed on the strip are needed for proper operation of the printer.  Be gentle!

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Brough-12 wrote:

I  have  a message on my printer indicating a carriage jam, I've opened  the access door  (there was no jam)

but I have checked for any obstructions i.e. paper jam, made sure the cartridges were installed correctly, then pressed OK 

to proceed. the message is still there.

I've been on line to the troubleshoot  team and done all they suggest but the message is still on my printer.

I cannot print anything out, can anyone help.

Have a look at my  “Officejet 3830 problems” thread.

I had a no bllack  output problem. After following their insructions about the black output,  I had a carriage jam problem. I thought I had checked out all paper jams. They posted a video in my thread annd when I followed it, I discovered a tiny scrap in the printed paper exit slot. It solved the carriage jam issue but it never solved the no black output problem!

Check your exit slot. Maybe you’ll get lucky!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.