Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi There,

My father has owned an HP Officejet 8610 for the past couple of years, and has always been a subscriber to Instant Ink. Up until now he's had no issues at all with it.

Over the last 3 weeks the printer has been complaining it cannot connect to Instant Ink, and he has to press 'Connect' on the printer touchscreen to proceed with printouts. When he presses Connect the printer alerts that it cannot connect to the Internet.

So when I saw him yesterday I took a look at it, and I'm at a loss to understand what is going on. I did some Google research and found a few topics regarding this. I followed all of the recommendations in the discussions that I found such as resetting network settings, manually setting DNS, checking the date/time was correct, etc.

Here's what I have done:

• The printer connects to the wireless network or via a wired connection without any issues at all. 
  • Checked the printer date/time was correct
  • I can access the printer EWS homepage and modify settings
  • On the EWS homepage it reports that Web Services has a problem, and has a red X across the icon. Clicking the "Fix" button doesn't resolve anything
  • Network clients can print without an issue
  • Network clients can initiate scans without an issue
  • I have tried manually entering the DNS of 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 for wired and wireless connections to rule out any issue with my ISP DNS
  • I have tried resetting the wireless and wired network connections
  • I disabled IPv6
  • I manually disabled the Network Proxy (it was previously set to the default of Automatic)
  • The HP Instant Ink Status page at https://instantink.hpconnected.com reports the printer is offline.
  • I have tried power cycling the router
  • I have power cycled the printer
  • If I tell the printer to look for a software update, it reports back that the software is up to date - which leads me to believe the printer is connecting to the internet without an issue.
  • All other clients on the network, wired and wireless can connect to the internet without a problem.

None of the above troubleshooting has resolved the issue. As I don't know the IP/DNS addresses the printer is attempting to connect to in order to enable Web Services or update Instant Ink status there's not much more troubleshooting I can do on my side to check that the addresses are being resolved and can be connected to.

As a last resort I decided to factory reset the printer completely. When the printer re-started it prompted me to enable Web Services. This also failed, and it reported that it couldn't connect to the server.

So at the moment I'm completely at a loss to understand what is going on here. My Father is now unable to print as I cannot get the printer to enable its web services, and he's paying for an instant ink subscription he cannot use.

I would really appreciate some urgent advice on this.

Many Thanks...

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

This might be the same issue I am seeing and posted details in another thread:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Instant-Ink/has-anyone-really-solved-the-quot-connect-printer-to-up...

Also, this is probably the most detailed of the many threads with the same issue.  I did most of these same steps and in the thread I linked, I captured some details of using the Fiddler Debug Proxy to see where connections were being made to and the sometimes error results coming back from HP servers.

HP Recommended

Exactly the same issue that I have been having, except my printer is a 8620. 

After a lengthy online "chat" with tech support yesterday, where the agent through remote control, went through all the same procedures that I had already tried (and as listed by JamesK75) .

At the end of all the testing, when I suggested that the problem could be with HP's server, he acknowledged this was likely and that many others had contacted support with the same issue 😞

His suggestion was to try enabling web services in 24 hours. Which I have attempted and it still wont install.

Could be time to cancel my Instant Ink subscription, if HP aren't able to manage their system.

HP Recommended

I replied in another post, but I'm trying to monitor all the other one's.  I was wondering how a support chat was going to go, so thanks for posting your experience.  I'm wondering how our accounts will sync with the HP Instant Ink service if we pass one or more billing cycles.  I'm also wondering if the factory reset I did will make it even more difficult to reconcile what I've printed since it lost connection. 

I looked at my usage in my account (pages printed).  It looks like it quit being reported around August 23rd.  What about you guys?

HP Recommended

The last usage I have logged on my account is from the 4th September.

I also did a reset, but if I look at the usage report in the EWS, it shows several thousand pages printed, so I am assuming the page count detail is retained even after a reset. Hopefully this is the case, so Instant Ink should be able to get back on track once they figure out how to get Web Services enabled again!!

I tried to enable Web Services this morning and it still won't install. 

HP Recommended

I've sent a tweet to the HP Support account asking them to take a look at this. It's a little concerning that there has been no official response from HP on this yet.

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658 Is there any update from HP on this? So far there hasn't been any response from HP on this subject.

HP Recommended
The last usage logged on my HP envy 5546 is 11th August 2019 just in case of interest to anyone. The last billing cycle started 22nd August Tried everything with IP settings , Google server 8.8.8.8 , resets etc etc. I actually need to get some work done (and printed) rather than spend hours on this
HP Recommended

Might be worth trying again... My Dad has just called me to say his OfficeJet has started working. I double-checked and he was correct. Web Services was now showing as enabled on the EWS home page, and the Instant Ink website was showing the printer as on-line. So I think HP have fixed whatever was broken on their side.

HP Recommended

Good shout JamesK75.

I've now been able to re-install the Web Services and the page count has been updated on the Instant Ink website.

Printer shows as Online again 🙂

Looks like all the missing page count has been grouped together on today's date.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.