Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended

@sandytechy20

To the HP agent ..

For every 1 person that writes on this forum, there will be hundreds, if not thousands, who will just junk their HP printer and go to another vendor. They are almost consumable items themselves nowadays.  But in going to another vendor, we all know that we will come across the same diabolical consumer marketing strategies, selling cheap, as in CHEAP!! hardware and attempting to tie customers in to prohibitive consumable deals, both in terms of cost and service.  
So don’t for one moment think that the dozen or so people here are the total volume of dissatisfied customers.  We are the tip of what could well be a VERY BIG ICEBERG … and HP, after being on the brink of oblivion 20 years ago, could well be the next TITANIC!! 

HP Recommended

I have had the same email with the price increase from £1.99 raising to £2.99.  I hardly use the printer, it’s disgusting.

HP Recommended

Yes, same increase for me… 50%
How can they justify this other than admit the whole scheme is a money-grabbing ploy?

Is this increase general or only for targeted members?

I certainly don’t feel like a valued customer after receiving this treatment and will probably quit Instant Ink altogether. 
I will also be telling family and friends about this and warning them to stay away from Instant Ink. 

HP Recommended

Had the same thing. Hardly used any ink, so HP making a huge amount from me over the last few years, and now they want to increase it- and to increase it by a huge 50%. Very unhappy customer.

HP Recommended

I've just had the same email.  £1.99 to £2.99.  Like everyone I've come with the same feelings toward a 50% increase.  I'll be studying my print history, considering future printing requirements and balancing the cost of this against other options such as buying cartridges when I need them, possibly non HP ones if there are compatible ones that aren't costly, or just replacing my printer with another manufacturer.

I think the tone of the email doesn't help. it's very matter of fact "upcoming changes[...]beginning February[...]plan fee will be...". Something about the running costs in current climate going up as explanation, but it just reads like "we're not making enough profit so the price is going up and we like the sound of a round number so..."

HP Recommended

Will also be looking in to alternatives. A 50% increase is ridiculous and no longer make sense for me to be using this subscription service, or to be tied to HP.

Note they have also reduced the number of print/carry over pages at the 99p level.

HP Recommended

I have 2 HP Instant Ink printers, and have had the same email that others have had for 1 of them so far (sent 16/01).

One is on the current £1.99 plan (50 pages), the other £3.49 (100 pages), but I can see from the table of plans in the price increase email that my £3.49 plan will probably be rising to £4.49 - a 50% increase and 29% increase.  Looking at the plans available to me on the HP Smart Instant Ink management site, those are the only 2 plans affected out of the 7 plans, the others are staying at the same prices (this year).

Like others, I have to say that a 50% price rise, at a time when people in UK are facing such financial challenges from fuel price rises, tax rises and other cost of living price rises, seems unthinking and unjustifiable.  Even 29% is way ahead of inflation.

It's a great service, better value than buying cartridges and greener due to the larger volume cartridges, but HP should try to keep customers happier via more gradual increases.

This time last year the 300 page plan went from £7.99 to £9.99, which prompted me to downgrade (HP would have been making more money from me had they not increased their prices).

No-one expects the prices to remain constant forever, but increases in line with inflation would be palatable, or a clear explanation of why HP would find it difficult to maintain their service due to increased production costs or something (which seems doubtful at the percentage hikes customers are having to put up with).

HP Recommended

Absolutely agree with your sentiment. I too bought a new printer and signed up to the instant ink program on January 12. I then received an email telling me the prices were going up by over 50% on January 15. The old, lower, prices are still advertised on their website. Absolutely shocking behaviour from HP. As you point out the fact they know they are increasing the prices but not telling you until you sign up is a dubious tactic. I expect they feel they can get away with it because it is a 1 month at a time subscription. But the fact printers are sold at a loss to get people to buy the ink, makes this a pretty underhand move. I feel I am being made a fool of. I will never buy an HP printer, computer, or genuine ink cartridge again.

HP Recommended

The plot thickens.

On re-reading my email from HP dated 15 Jan , it was stated that the price increase would be effective from 12 Jan (3 days earlier), the date on which I purchased my printer. (Edit …. The increase will be effect from 12 Feb, not 12 Jan but the previous rates are STILL being displayed on the HP Sales and Marketing pages)

As of today, 18 Jan, the HP website STILL shows the old rates for which I signed up.  
Could it be that HP have ‘quietly’ backed down? Or, perhaps more likely, are they continuing their subterfuge?

A definitive statement is required from HP both to all InstantInk members, and on their website.

HP Recommended

I've had the same email too yesterday "You are valued customer ..." clearly not! A 50% increase is unjustifiable. I will be considering my options ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.