Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Compaq
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I type in Wordpad, it will suddenly jump back to the start at the top of the page. When this happens, also I cannot hold down my scroll slider, it will jump to the top of the scroll.  During this time, if I hold the pointer over a chart ( I am a currency trader) the chart goes crazy back and forth. This happens intermittely, although frequently. I cannot ascertain, what may start this off, it appears to have no rymn or reason. It can be fine for 20 minutes then start. I have done system restore, defrag, clean disks, scans. The touchpad and pointer is Synaptic Pointing Device Driver. I am scared to uninstall or fiddle with that, in case I am left with no way to operate without the use of the touchpad and pointer/mouse ( I have no external mouse to try. )

I hope that makes sense. 

Many thanks for your assistance in this.

Kind regards

Wayne

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Wayne1212,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand the touchpad moves and clicks on its own causing issues around the desktop screen,
don't worry as I will be able to help you out, although, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

• Does this happen only with the word pad or with browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome (if yes, which browser are you using)?
  • Have you made any recent updates to your computer, software or hardware related?
  • When was the last time it worked fine (date)?
  • Could you provide me with the Product number and the Operating system installed on the PC? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Check the Mouse options under control panel:

Start → Control Panel → Mouse → Buttons tab.
Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only."
Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only."

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

• 1.   Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.
  • 2.   Click Device Manager.
  • 3.   Click + sign next to Mouse.
  • 4.   Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".
  • 5.   Restart your computer.

I would also suggest you go ahead and update the Bios, Chipset and synaptics drivers from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.
And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Jeet,

I hope all is well with you.

Many thanks for your e mail in assistance, I very much appreciate it. 

My apologises for taking so long to get back to you, I have be trying every thing to solve the problem before replieing to you.

In answer to your queries

The last time it worked properly was 14th July.

The problem happens in everything - Chrome, Microsft word, word pad, Internet Explorer. I have been using  Chrome.

I have not made any changes recently at all. I have taken every thing off of my laptop, in order to resolve the problem.

Serial number: CND44427ZK

Product name: Compaq 15 Notebook PC

Product number: K4C75EA#ABU

Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit

I was using Windows 10 ( which I do not like) in an effort to cure this problem, I did a complete re install , now I am using windows 8.

I have tried your suggested - Click on mouse in in Control panel - there is no option for MS Office compatibility or Scroll.. under Button - only  options I have are -right hand / left hand and click speed.

I have uninstalled and installed the drivers for the mouse and the Touchpad.

I have downloaded HP support and updated from HP as you suggested.

After I did a complete re install, everything worked perfectly for 2 days, then the old trouble started again. I am getting really desperate now. 

Thank you for your assistance in trying to help, it is most appreciated,

Kind regards

Wayne

HP Recommended

Hi @Wayne1212,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue. I would suggest the next option would be to run the test on the touchpad from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Depending on the test results, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.