Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
ZBook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Im working remotely because of virus. But Im really struggling with lag.

Im using Civil 3D (witch I have most problems with), ArGIS Pro, Sketchup, Photoshop.

I use VPN to connect to the server and then Remote control my Zbook from home laptop. 

Most issues I have during panning around and zoom in Autocad Civil 3d. Crazy, unworkable lag.

Speedtest.net says Im over 700mbps for upload&download. Ive tried multiple home laptops with the same results. 

Does anyone think I can solve my issue by using RGS?   

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ivan, not sure where google.com comes into the equation...

What you want to do is connect to your VPN, then bring up a cmd prompt on your home machine (Receiver) and ping the hostname or IP address of your work machine (Sender). This will measure the latency between the two machines relevant to the performance of RGS - your Sender and Receiver.

Regardless of your latency across the VPN, I believe your question is whether RGS aka ZCentral Remote Boost is superior to RDP for CAD use, and the answer to that is simple - yes, it's much much better as you can control the amount of image quality / compression and it will use the Nvidia GPU on the Sender to send minimal traffic across the VPN. Your ability to tune the image quality to match the available network bandwidth makes it a far superior solution to RDP for gfx intensive workflows.

You mentioned a Server - you should be aware that ZCentral Remote Boost is a workstation solution. If you don't have a Z-series HP workstation on the other side (your office), then this solution is not going to be as simple for your IT group to deploy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Ivan,

• What kind of graphics do you have on your server/Sender?
  • What is the server/Sender hardware?

Two things that can affect performance, especially when working from home, are which Codec you are using and whether or not you have Velocity enabled.  The Codec determines how the data is encoded and decoded when sent through the RGS/Remote Boost connection.

Before you make a connection, go to the Performance tab of the RGS/Remote Boost Receiver Settings. 

The default Codec is HP3. Try turning HP Velocity on and off and see if it makes a difference in performance.

The alternative Codec is Advanced Video Compression (AVC).  Try turning AVC on and experiment with HP Velocity on and off to see how your performance is affected.

Becky

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Ivan,

Trying pinging the IP of the remote machine. Sounds like your VPN is introducing a lot of latency.

Ping the IP of your remote machine once connected to your VPN. If your ping times are >150ms you will experience noticeable lag. If you have packet loss, it will be worse again. Latency under 50ms makes it almost feel like you are at your desk.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice.

I've tried pinging my home machine while connected to VPN and running Remote Desktop.

Round trip to Google.com came out as 7ms.

I also tried pinging my sender remotely - 22ms to google and back.

0% loss in both cases.

Im not  an IT so excuse me if me talking nonsense.

Im using Remote Desktop and Im wondering if RGS will work better for me?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Ivan, not sure where google.com comes into the equation...

What you want to do is connect to your VPN, then bring up a cmd prompt on your home machine (Receiver) and ping the hostname or IP address of your work machine (Sender). This will measure the latency between the two machines relevant to the performance of RGS - your Sender and Receiver.

Regardless of your latency across the VPN, I believe your question is whether RGS aka ZCentral Remote Boost is superior to RDP for CAD use, and the answer to that is simple - yes, it's much much better as you can control the amount of image quality / compression and it will use the Nvidia GPU on the Sender to send minimal traffic across the VPN. Your ability to tune the image quality to match the available network bandwidth makes it a far superior solution to RDP for gfx intensive workflows.

You mentioned a Server - you should be aware that ZCentral Remote Boost is a workstation solution. If you don't have a Z-series HP workstation on the other side (your office), then this solution is not going to be as simple for your IT group to deploy.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

Sender/Office - HP ZBook:

i7-6700HQ @2.60GHz

Nvidia Quadro M3000M

16Gb RAM

500Gb SSD 

Windows 10 Pro

Receiver/Home - Dell:

i7-Q740 @1.73GHz

Nvidia Quadro FX 1800M

16Gb RAM

500Gb SSD 

Windows 10 Pro

As mention before Im currently using Remote Desktop & VPN.

Im not using RGS. Question is: can I use RGS instead of Remote Desktop to improve lag during AutoCAD Civil 3d drafting?

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.