Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Still in testing phase of RGS so far so good except couple small things.

1. I can't get remote session to match resolution of my 4k monitor. It is stuck to maximum of curently attached monitor on remote computer with sender.

2. If monitor on remote computer is off then viewports in 3d applications are messed up, not showing. Like in case of other remote desktop solutions. Monitor turned back on evreyhting works fine again.

3. Wondering if something like this would help: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless-4k/

But I still assume that all should work withouth monitor attached? Maybe other remote desktop solutions are msessing things up?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey mirko,

I've been using RGS with a remote machine running a fit headless adapter and am able to connect at any resolution I desire. I believe this might be a Windows issue (are you attempting to connect to a remote Windows sender?)

Check on the remote sender machine (without a monitor attached) that you can set the resolution to 4K (or whatever you're trying to work with on the receiver side, I'm assuming 4K since your monitor is 4K)

If you can't set the resolution to 4K without a monitor attached on the sender via any other remote solution, I think your answer is a headless adapter. I think this has to do with how Windows sees remote displays. I could be wrong. Either way, a headless adapter solved all of my resolution mismatch problems.

HP Recommended

Right now monitor attached to the remote system is less then 4k so I guess that could be one issue, but eeven if I remove that monitor reoslution is still stuck at maximum resolution of that monitor.

But also another problem with headless is as soon as ther eis no monitor attached my 3d applications viewport is not working any more, like 3d hardware accelreations are tuirned off or something.

I've ordered an 4k hdmi adapter already so hope taht wil sort out both issues.

But yes I suspect windows and how it handles monitor detection reoslutions and hardware accelerations...

HP Recommended
RGS would have to present your receiver monitor to the sender computer as a locally attached monitor in order to do what you want I think. That would involve some kind of virtual monitor device. I think the devs are working on something like that in 7.5 but I could be wrong.

Point to be made, the sender computer, AFAIK, will only allow you to set a resolution supported by the attached monitor and some programs depend upon being able to detect a locally attached monitor.

That fit headless adapter is exactly what you need. I guarantee as soon as you plug that adapter in, so long as it supports 4K, you'll be able to set the proper resolution and you won't have any more trouble with your 3D apps.
HP Recommended

Does your sender have a graphic card that is capable of matching your 4k monitors attached to your receiver?  There is a way to manually test to see if the sender can match the resolution.  Are you using VM on your headless sender, NVIDIA graphics?  Are you testing RGS 7.4.0 64 bit?  Need a few more details to further help you.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.