Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP RGS
Linux

Hi All

We're evaluating RGS and it's working great apart from a frustrating issue with Wacom support in Linux to Linux sessions.

- Sender is running CentOS 7.6, RGS 7.6 on a HP Z6 G4 workstation

- Receiver is running CentOS 7.6, RGS 7.6 on a 7th gen Intel NUC (but also tested 8th Gen NUC)

Wacom works locally on both the sender and receiver (pressure sensitivity support etc). However, when using it over a session there is extreme lag i.e drawing a line will print to screen 2 seconds after it's drawn. The pressure sensitivity -is- working but it's unusable due to lag. The cursor also seems to jump around as if not all input is being read. If we disconnect the Wacom during the session and reconnect, the Wacom can then be used smoothly as a pointer device but without the Wacom features.

Now if we install the same Linux build and RGS receiver version on different hardware, in this case an HP Z6 G3, the Wacom works perfectly over the session with pressure sensitivity.

I'm baffled as to why this isn't working with the receiver on the NUC, I'm thinking something to do with the USB Controller? We've tried updating the kernel to a recent mainline to see if driver versions make a difference but still get the same issue. Pressure sensitivity -does- work with the NUC locally.

Turning the receiver log up to DEBUG isn't giving us anything immediately obvious.

Can anyone give us some advice on how we might debug this? The next thing we're going to try is installing the receiver on hardware that isn't a NUC and isn't an HP workstation.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It looks like the issue isn't specific to the Intel NUC - I've just reproduced it on a Dell Optiplex 790, using the same distribution and packages as above.

HP Recommended

What Wacom device are you using in this setup?  Would like to see if we can reproduce your issue.  Already have an Intel NUC loaded with CentOS 7.6.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi KellyRGS

Thanks for looking into this. We're primarily testing with a Wacom Intuos Pro PTH660. We've also tried a Wacom PTH 651 ENES and get the same behaviour. We have a few other models if you want us to test with them.

Resolution is 2560x1440 also tried dropping to 1080 to see if that made a difference.

We've tested with these NUC models:

NUC8i3BEK3

NUC7I5BNK

HP Recommended

We have a Wacom Intuos Pro PTH660 so I can start to test.  Will update when I have results, and/or any changes that could make the experience better.

I work on the behalf of HP.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I've managed to replicate the issue on an HP Z6 G4, so it looks like it's a software/driver issue, not a hardware issue.

On both the Intel NUC and HP Z6 G4 I can replicate the issue by doing a *minimal* (no display environment) CentOS install, then doing the following:

# X server packages
yum install -y xorg-x11-drivers xorg-x11-fonts* xorg-x11-xinit xterm
# Dependencies for RGS to work without throwing errors
yum install -y mesa-libGLU mesa-dri-drivers pulseaudio firefox
# Offline install of rgreceiver from package saved on USB drive
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
cd /mnt/usb/receiver/
sh install.sh
Do you want to enable Wacom device support: yes
# Launch rgreceiver from 
xinit /opt/hpremote/rgreceiver/rgreceiver.sh
When connected to the remote host, the Wacom displays a significant lag in responsiveness.

However if instead of minimal install, I use the same installer to install GNOME Desktop then follow the steps above, there is no problem with the Wacom responsiveness over RGS.

So I'm guessing there's some undocumented driver required for the Wacom to work fully over RGS which the original poster had in their deployment but was only installing or valid for the HP Z workstation, and wasn't installing on the NUC, e.g. something included in the NVIDIA driver package.

Receiver CentOS release: 7.6.1810 (Core)
Receiver Kernel Version  3.10.0-957.el7.x86 64
xorg-x11-drv-wacom is 0.36.1-3.el7.x86_64
xorg-x11-server-Xorg is 1.20.4-7.el7.x86_64
rgreceiver_linux_64 is 7.6.1.19438-1.el7.x86_64

HP Recommended

This turned out to be a bug in RGS 7.6 which is confirmed to be fixed in the next release.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.