Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2655
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I just purchased an HP DeskJet 2655 and tried to connect it to my wireless network, but an error saying, "

Your device is not compatible with 5 GHz networks. Select another network, and then try again," popped up. I only have one wireless network so I need a solution for how to make my printer compatible. 

-My internet is a Cablevision Arris connected to an Optimum D-Link (I literally have no idea what that means, those are just the labels on the two wifi technology pieces)

-I'm using a MacBook Air (operating version 10.13.5)

-The printer is plugged into a power outlet and ready to connect

PLEASE help me and PLEASE explain this in layman's terms as I know very little about technology, specifically how wifi/internet connection/Bluetooth works.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Baileyk18

The information (documentation) on this printer is frustratingly vague about the Wireless capability beyond verifying that the printer does support "Wi-Fi".

Usually this means that the printer only supports 2.4GHz Wireless.

5GHz is relatively new - many phones, new computers, and other devices (even some new printers) now support this speed.  Less expensive printers may not support the 5GHz bandwidth regardless of their age.

What to do?

You need to log into that router,

Find out whether it supports both 5GHz and 2.4GHz,

If the router supports both,

• Adjust the router settings to broadcast on both 5GHz AND the 2.4GHz bandwidth.
  • Give the 2.4GHz bandwidth a different SSID name. 

For example, if your 5GHz network is named MyFancy5GHzNetwork, name the 2.4 network SSID as MyFancy24GHzNetwork.  

Both networks can be assigned the same Passphrase (Wireless password) used to connect to the network.

If you don't understand what that means,

and / or

You cannot log into your router,

then

Contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP), tell them you need to have both 5GHz AND 2.4GHz bandwidth broadcast, and ask for help.

OR

Ask a tech-savvy friend to come over, log into the router, check and adjust the setup.

IF the router does not support 2.4GHz in addition to the 5GHz, the printer is not going to connect wirelessly.

References

Wireless Printer Setup (Mac)

Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Mac)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP DeskJet 2655 All-in-One Printer

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.