11-27-2019 09:06 AM
I bought a new Lenovo IdeaPad S340 laptop. It doesn't have a CD slot so I went to HP to download the software for my HP Envy 4520 printer. I installed it. It's wireless. My computer recognizes the printer, and when I send a doc to it, it even shows up in the queue. But it doesn't print. I did troubleshoot, and did everything that was suggested that I could find - make printer the default, turn it off and on, cancel print and try again, etc. Nothing worked. Oddly, one time while doing all this, at some point a doc printed. Can't explain it. But it hasn't since, and I really need to get this up and running asap so I can use my new computer fully. I was going to try uninstalling the printer and reinstall it, but not even sure how to do that now. Fear if I just "remove device" it won't uninstall completely and create a problem trying to reinstall. Someone suggested I just get an external CD device and install printer with CD that came with it. But not sure if that would let me install it since it's already there. (Husband got a new Lenovo last year and installed printer with our CD and he hasn't had a problem.) Did I miss something when downloading the software from HP site?
All help is greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks.
11-29-2019 02:20 PM
@brigsby, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.
Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:
Reset the printer
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.
Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue
Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.
If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.
Check the connectivity between the printer and PC
- Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
- This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.
- If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
- Try printing. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.
Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
- Select your HP Printer
- Select Uninstall
- In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
- In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’
- Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
- Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
- Click on the “Drivers” tab
- Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
- Select Ok
- Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
- Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.
Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.
Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
11-30-2019 01:29 PM
I knew printer was working since it copies, scans, and prints from my husband's computer just fine. So I went to look for the printer under Programs and Features like you said. I didn't find anything related to the printer there to uninstall. So I went to Devices and Printers and removed it. Then I ran printui.exe /s as you said. Under Drivers tab I only found Microsoft drivers - enhanced pint and print compability driver for both x64 and x86, and IPP class driver, Print to PDF, Microsoft Software Pinrter Driver, and XPS Documents writer v4. So I didn't see anything there to remove. Then I just restarted computer and went to HP link to download full-featured driver for my printer. While doing that, a window said my computer (or printer??) wasn't configured to network share, so it wanted to do that. It proceeded to attempt to install Network Share device. But I tried twice and it came back saying it couldn't connect to do that. It asked how I wanted to connect and I clicked on wireless, since that's how we use the printer, both my husband and me with both computers. It's always been just fine. I'm not sure what to do next, since we need this to be wireless and only other options weren't.
Please tell me what to try next. I'm trying to follow your instructions totally, and am hoping for a successful resolution!
11-30-2019 03:35 PM
Also, I checked the network sharing setting on old computer and it had turned on Network Sharing with devices under Advanced settings and my new computer didn't have that turned on. So I switched that, saved it, and tried again to download printer drivers etc via your link. Again trying to do wireless connect. And again, during the network device install, it said "Unsuccessful Network Installation. The device was unable to be installed over the network." I simply don't get it. I have no internet or connection troubles. I have computer right next to printer and modem is right under me in basement. Husband's computer works fine with all of it from across the house. Also, our modem does say it's 5GHz but it's not a dual one.
I'm totally baffled!!! So, sure hope you can help me get this sorted out. Thanks!!!
12-01-2019 08:31 AM
@brigsby, thank you for the detailed response.
As you say your modem is 5GHZ and is not a dual-band router, this is the issue. As mentioned in my previous post, this printer does not support the 5GHz network, it only can work on a 2.4GHz network.
Keep me posted for any other assistance.
I am an HP Employee