Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling my printer (HP OfficeJet 6500) a couple of times, restarted my Mac (running OS Sierra 10.12.3) all to no avail.

Any new suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @RxWiz, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you get broken pipe error on your printer.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes on your printer or MAC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Default tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @RxWiz, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you get broken pipe error on your printer.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes on your printer or MAC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Default tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and then next to the "Use" pulldown, select the printer model (not AirPrint). Wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks MrRobot!

So far, so good with your suggested fix. We'll see how it works for the next day or so. 

HP Recommended

Okay - so it was too good to be true...the same error is still happening. It worked for 2 documents and then started failing again.

It keeps telling me the printer isn't connected - or that the connection broke. I know it's connected because it starts the job and then stops.

HP Recommended

Same error occured here 10.12.6 but just with some specific pdf-files.

Files print ok from other Macs.

Reseting Print System did not solve the problem.

Our work around for thes files was to export them as jpeg files 200 dpi.

Printing those  images was no problem.

HP Recommended

Is the fix below for MAC? I don't get anything when I right click the box.

HP Recommended

@biglou72

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking  here To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.