Level 2
12 11 0 4
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broken scanner function macOS 10.15 Catalina

Color LaserJet Pro MFP 277
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Based on comment from Mans https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/HP-Easy-Scan-is-not-currently-supported-i... I am opening a new thread on this old scannner problem.

I upgraded  to macOS Catalina 10.15 in November 2019, then my LaserJet Pro MFP 277 stopped scanning. This includes scanning functionality with Image Capture app or the HP Easy Scan. I tried to update the printer driver with the 12-3-2019 release  (HP LaserJet Pro Series Firmware Update Utility (ver 20191203) but the HP utility will connect to the printer, but NOT install the driver. 

Printer function works fine with macOS Catalina 10.15 and LaserJet Pro MFP 277, this is only a scanner issue.

Also, my old HP 8600 connected to the same machine prints and scans perfectly fine using Image Capture and macOS Catalina 10.15. This is simply a driver problem/interface with Catalina 10.15 (Note scanned fine with 10.13). My scanner was working fine until I upgraded  to macOS Catalina 10.15 in November. I upgraded to 10.15.2 in December with no improvement.

Bottom line the printer works fine but the scanner replys with error 23, 16 or 13 messages. And, the 10.15.2 works fine with my ancient hp 8600 scanner which I'm glad I kept.

The old thread has 11 pages of comments from dozens of people tracking the same scanner problem with various MFP devices.

Please help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,485 6,478 426 526
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Broken scanner function macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi @PittJohn

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

HP Easy Scan is not yet compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. We're actively working to restore complete functionality. I suggest using HP Smart app or Apple Image capture to scan from your MAC. Kindly refer to this document to know how. 

Refer to this document for more info on HP Easy Scan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation