Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Every time I turn my C5180 on the drivers reinstall. My operating system is Vista. This results in multiple copies of the printer (only one of which works) in my printer folder. Can anybody suggest a fix to stop this happening please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Delete all PS C5100 printer icon that is not working. After deleting all non-working icons you need to disable the HP Cue Device Discovery service. To do it, kindly follow the steps below:

-Click Startup icon>type in the Search boc 'Services'

-Services window will open

-look for HP Cue Device Discovery service

-double-click the service

-change Startup type to DISABLE and Startup status to STOPPED

-click Apply then OK

-try to restart your computer 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Delete all PS C5100 printer icon that is not working. After deleting all non-working icons you need to disable the HP Cue Device Discovery service. To do it, kindly follow the steps below:

-Click Startup icon>type in the Search boc 'Services'

-Services window will open

-look for HP Cue Device Discovery service

-double-click the service

-change Startup type to DISABLE and Startup status to STOPPED

-click Apply then OK

-try to restart your computer 

HP Recommended
This solution worked fine - thanks very much!
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem when electricity drops.  The computer, router and cable modem on an UPS, but the printer is not (I read somewhere that you shouldn't put the printer on the battery backup/UPS).  When we suffer a power dip the printer driver install starts up.  Ultimately it will ask me for the install CD, which I don't have.  The install CD I have is for XP and I'm running Vista.  My install is an image downloaded from HP.  Since  new printer is installed I now have to go to control panel/printers and delete the printer and change the name of c5100 (copy 1) to c5100. 

Will the services solution you presented solve my "reinstalling driver issue everytime there's a power dip" problem.

HP Recommended

I don't know but it worked for me on power-up which I guess is similar (I haven't got a UPS). Worth a try though!

HP Recommended

Interesting that the CUE Device Discovery service causes this problem, as well.  A couple other threads identified it as the culprite for disappearing printer drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-and/How-to-Fix-Disappearing-HP-Printer-Driv...

HP should fix their buggy software.

HP Recommended

Turns out is a power issue.  The printer is not getting enough power from the multi-power outlet, as it was plugged into the furthest plug.  Try plugging it into the outlet closest to the main power cable for greater power supply to the printer.   This worked for me and the prnter is working fine.

# Printer needs to be re-installed everytime I turn it on

# Computer not reading printer with USB plugged in

# Printer USB port not recognized by computer PC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.