Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

does anyone know f I can use compatible toner (non HP) with this printer? Will the quality of the printout suffer or will the printer stop working entirely?

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Tonio_62,

We (as printer engineers) do not recommend the use of non-HP toner cartridges.

You may face quality problems or even damage your printer.

Here is a recent example of 2 damaged printers:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/HP-M605/m-p/6527396#M336352

And here are 7 myths about non-HP toner cartridges:

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Offer.aspx?p=b-supplies-toner

The choice is yours,

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

Hi Alex,

thanks for your response (I kind of expected something like this to be honest - what else could you have said? 😉

The thing is, I would like to purchase the printer but £80 pounds for a standard catridge (2300 pages) is a bit too steep to be honest. If I bought all four colours I will face a bill of almost £400 pounds, which is mind boggling really. 

Anyway, as you said, it's my decision ...

Do you know if the warranty is being vioded if I use non-HP toner?

Thanks again

HP Recommended

The warranty will not be voided if you use non-hp cartridges. However, if printer  damage is attributable to the use of a non-HP or refilled cartridge, HP will charge its standard time and materials charges to service the printer for the particular failure or damage.

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/privacy/limited_warranty.html

I hope this will help,

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

Many thanks again, Alex, for you very quick response 🙂

I raised another question (see here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Print-Black-White-only/m-p/6526204) but haven't received an answer yet. Would you be able to answer that too please.

My question was if the printer keeps printing when one cartridge goes empty? For example, if Magenta runs out will the printer still be printing if I select Black&White only?

Many thanks

HP Recommended

The printer will still function, as black and white only uses the independent black cartridge. It's called the razor-and-blades strategy of selling printers "cheap," so the companies can trap you into buying toner from them that will cost far more than the printer themselves. HP makes ZERO profit from the printers they make; they LOSE money with each printer they sell. However, they make twice the cost of the printer immediately after the sale of their toner for your FIRST refill of all four color cartridges. It's not a scam; it's completely legal, but only celebrities can afford the cost of official HP toner over several years. It's better to sell the printer and toner and buy a house instead.

Even the "studies" HP includes from the "non-HP employee" above were all PAID BY HP, and they ONLY list their manipulated findings from a very small selection of people who live in EMEA, which is a shorthand designation meaning Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.  The reason for this is clear: The United States has strong regulations and very costly penalties against companies who pay for manipulated studies that mislead customers; it's also because of toner from non-HP manufacturers in the United States is highly rated by customers they asked in internal studies never released to the public. So HP has resorted to fake reviews by fake customers in the United States to post on popular non-HP toner sites to discourage them from making high-quality toner. They even patent their toner cartridge design so that others can't make any that even remotely look like them or they'll risk being sued. It's a monopoly.

Printer companies even tried to sue these often small companies, but the United States Supreme Court ruled AGAINST them, saying that Americans had the right to buy a toner cartridge that they could afford for printers they have already purchased and that any company requiring customers to only buy products made by them is a completely monopolistic and illegal practice. Consider Apple: While you can only buy apps from the Apple App Store, you don't have to buy apps ONLY made by Apple. So HP lost the SUPREME COURT case because they can't illegally force customers to buy only their toner. To refill all four CMYK toner cartridges when they become empty with HP's OEM High-Yield versions that originally come with an HP Color Laserjet M477, for example, costs customer roughly $1000 USD, no matter where you buy it ONLINE OR OFFLINE. So if you purchase the lower-yield versions to save money, you don't, because of their lower yield version output much less ink in the long term, meaning that you would have to buy multiple lower-yield versions to equal the output of a single high-yield version.

So high-yield toner is the smarter version to buy at a lower cost per page. HP has tried to scare so many people away from non-HP toner that the third-party toner market is now so fractured that Consumer Reports put out an official statement that it's nearly impossible to rate the quality of the toners. So HP has sneakily shutdown voices in support MUCH LESS COSTLY HIGH-QUALITY toner from third parties. HP should double the price of their printers so that their shady practices are more transparent regarding the out of reach costs of their printers for most people, and cut the prices of their toner for those who can still afford to purchase elitist printers like me. I can't recommend the average person purchasing the Color Laserjet Printer Pro M477 because of the ridiculously high replacement costs of the toner. THIS IS WRONG. The Supreme Court will probably never revisit this, so caveat emptor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.