Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Can't connect to wireless printer from LAN

HP Recommended
HP Laser MFP 135w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a fruitless (and very annoying) discussion with the HP Virtual Agent, I am gonna try reaching out here.

I recently bought a laser printer called "HP Laser MFP 135w" (Product number: 4ZB83A). The main reason I bought it was it's small size, and that it can scan and copy, and that it should be easy to use even with mobile devices.

Last night I set it up, using my mobile phone. And after some initial problems, it worked fine. I was able to print and scan, from/to my phone.

Then today I tried to connect it to my desktop computer, and I installed the HP Smart software from the windows store. But HP Smart can't find my printer. And the program informs me: "Please make sure that your printer is powered on and connected to the same network as this computer."

I emphasized that last part, since I got a growing feeling that this is the problem here. Because my desktop computer is not using the WIFI. It is using a LAN connection. I know very little about networking, but I thought that it would still be considered to be the same network.

Can someone tell me if this printer is supposed to work in this way? The printer doesn't have any network socket, and it is too far away for a USB cable.

I just want this to work... I thought new technology was smart, and could handle these things automatically. My NAS can be accessed from both wired and wireless devices, so why can't HP find this printer?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
4,835 4,805 509 1,112
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You may have answered this but it is not clear. is the printer operating as WIFI direct or is it connected to your internal WIFI network? Can you ping the printer from your desktop. Indeed if your printer and computer are on the same network then connection method (wireless or wired) makes no difference.

To test communication using the ping command:

1. Press the windows key and the "R" at the same time

2. In the window that opens type "cmd"

3. This will open a dos like window type the following command "ping 192.198.xxx.xxx (use the IP address of the printer here) and press enter

4. If you have communication you should get a reply like the picture below

Repairatrooper_0-1590942091238.png

If  you get any type of error then the printer and computer are not able to see each other on the network and you need to resolve that issue in order to be able to print.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The printer is connected to normal WIFI, not WIFI Direct. It is not possible to ping the computer from the desktop PC, I just get "Request timed out".

I am a regular computer user, not a network technician. So if this is a network problem I have no idea on how to solve it. To give you an idea of my technical know how when it comes to networking: I don't even know how to connect to the admin interface of my router (no online instructions have helped)... I was hoping for a plug-and-play style setup of this printer.

@Repairatrooper wrote:

Indeed if your printer and computer are on the same network then connection method (wireless or wired) makes no difference.

If that is the case, then how come the HP Smart "Printer Setup" guide only gives me three options? Basically "Wifi ONLY", "Ethernet ONLY" and "USB".

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation