Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just started using our new MFP M277dw printer, and ran into a problem for which I cannot find a solution.

I had a short stack of blank paper (perhaps about 20-30 sheets) that I loaded into the printer tray. Because I guessed at how many sheets I put in, and since I was printing a generic "filler" document that we use occasionally, I entered "40" for the print quantity.

After the printer got through the paper, I received the standard "Add Paper. Press [OK]" warning on the printer's screen.

The problem? I have no more paper for this job. I'm done. The bigger problem? I can't find the "Cancel" button.

The only option I saw was the "Reset" button on the printer's home screen. I pushed it, got a "Job settings cleared" message, and went on to my next form.

Unfortunately, when I loaded the paper for the next form into the printer ... it began printing the last dozen or so sheets from my previous job.

So here's my question:

How do you cancel a print job?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jaxxon5

Printer:

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw

User Guide says that the Cancel button should "show up" while there is a current job.

Chapter 1, Page 4

Assuming that is not the case, at least not in this situation, you can try a more direct approach.

Try / Consider:

Restart services

Cancel Print Jobs in the Printer Queue

• Stop Print Spooler Service
  • Remove files from C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
  • Start Print Spooler Service

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions, Dragon-Fur. You mentioned:

> User Guide says that the Cancel button should "show up" while there is a current job.

While the job is running, there is a "Cancel" button. That button disappears when the "Add Paper" warning comes on the screen.

> Try / Consider:
> Restart services

Restarting services is a long, drawn-out process. Why can't I just cancel printing?

> Cancel Print Jobs in the Printer Queue

It's a single page. It has disappeared from the print queue by the time the first page has printed. If it isn't there, it can't be cancelled.

With all due respect, Dragon-Fur, while I appreciate your answer (which I've seen you've posted on several similar questions), the suggestions are work-arounds, not solutions.

The solution would be if HP simply added a "Cancel" button to go with the "Add Paper" prompt. Our Ricoh, Epson and Canon office printers have this option. Our HP printers do not.

HP Recommended

@Jaxxon5

Understood that you do not want to restart the print services.

Cancelling the job works when the print services process is not corrupted / tangled (non-technical term that simply means "stuck and not working".

Good luck and I hope you get the solution you seek.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I had the same question. Its strange that there is no cancel option.  I ended up just loading up some scrap paper, and cancelling it after it started printing again.

HP Recommended
How cancel print order
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.