03-12-2018 05:36 AM
I have a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw and there is no Black & White option to print.
My iPhone and iPad have a B/W option, but my Mac does not. I am running macOS 10.13.3
This is very frusterating and expensive as I am printing every little thing in full colour.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
03-13-2018 12:51 PM - edited 03-13-2018 12:52 PM
Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with not able to print in black from your MacBook pro I will be delighted to assist you here.
Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂
To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:
- Did this happen after a recent software or OS update?
For now, try these steps:
- Please make sure that the MAC OS is updated completely first.
- If there are no other printers connected or added to the computer then please reset the mac printing system once by following these steps: (resetting Mac printing system removes the other printer entries)
- Reset Mac printing system and then add the printer by following these steps:
- • Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
- • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
- • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
- • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
- • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
- • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
- • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
- • Click the “Add button” (+).
- • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.
- • Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint.
- For further assistance on how to reset Mac printing system and add the printer please visit this link:http://hp.care/2gOrf2g and it also has an associated video for your reference.
- This should do the trick for you. If it does not, then reset the Mac printing system again and then download the printer from the Apple website link: http://hp.care/2wU8ONmusing Apple Software update.
- If the problem continues the follow all the relevant steps from this link: http://hp.care/2jwAgin to fix it. (HP Printers - AirPrint Print Job Does Not Print (iOS 11, Sierra, High Sierra)
- This should resolve the issue.
This link: http://hp.care/2FFf2VI gives information on how to use the printer settings in MAC (HP Printers - Print Driver Settings Guide (Mac) Please refer to the section under “Color and black & white settings” after resetting the Mac printing system and adding the printer.
Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat.
Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.
To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.
If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂
I am an HP Employee
08-31-2018 08:13 AM
This solution worked for me. On my iMac using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, I did not have the option to print in black and white only or in draft mode in my M254dw print dialog box.
After following the instructions given, my print dialog box now includes many new details, including black and white and draft options.
Thanks very much for posting this solution! It will help me save ink and print the way I want to print.