Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet M426fdw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I tried this to check if printer has latest firmware:

Touchscreen > Home > Setup > Service > LaserJet Update > Check for Updates Now
produces:
"The printer is unable to connect with the service.  Check Internet connection".  

So I look up my network setup:

Touchscreen > Home > Setup > Network Setup
Shows only wireless setup, does not show Ethernet setup

Touchscreen > Home > Click Network symbol at upper right corner
Shows:
"Network Connected: On"
"IP address: 10.0.1.31"
"Wireless: OFF"

So is the printer connected to the Internet?  It has an IP address.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is a newer firmware version available for your printer. If you cannot update the firmware using the control panel option you can use the method using the Firmware Update Utility available from: www.hp.com/support/ljM426MFP and described in this document: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7458649&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03....

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can easily get a Firmware datecode from the printer by either:

1. Touchscreen > Home > Setup > Service > Firmware Datecode
  2. Touchscreen > Home > Setup > Reports > Configuration repports then look at Product Information
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Okay, that gives me the firmware version 20151102 but I really want to make sure that my printer is using the latest firmware.

Is there any way to check if it's using the latest, and if not, update it?

It would be phenomenal if I could do this from the touchscreen display.

HP Recommended

There is a newer firmware version available for your printer. If you cannot update the firmware using the control panel option you can use the method using the Firmware Update Utility available from: www.hp.com/support/ljM426MFP and described in this document: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=7458649&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03....

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thaks a million for following through with an answer for me.  I was able to successfully upgrade the firmware from daetcode  20151103 to 2016331.

In the future, can I just run the Firmware Update Utility to check if there is a new update?

HP Recommended

Hi dougkramer,

Yes, in the future you should be able to run the "Firmware Update Utility" to check if there is a new update on your printer.

I am an HP Employee. My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.