Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M277dw
Other

It works fine on linux but on the android 7 phone printing with the correct tray is impossible. The android app only wants to use tray 1 which is the manual one where you have to enter a page at the time.

I see no possibility to force the buggy android app to use the correct tray, I do not want to ever use tray 1 and that is the only one that the android app wants to use.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey there! @MichelCat, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 

I understand you have issues selecting the correct tray while printing from an Android device.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

What app are you using to print from android device?

If you have any paper in the tray 1 remove the paper from the tray.

Put the paper in the tray you desire to use and try printing. 

Also, try printing using HP smart app and check if it helps.

Install the HP Smart app on your Android OS 4.4 (KitKat) or later device. After installation, launch the app, and then add your printer.

1.Make sure your Android device is connected to the same wireless network that your current printer is connected to, or that you want to connect a new printer to.

2.On your Android device, download and install the HP Smart app (in English) from the Google Play Store. 

3.After installation, open the app and then tap Start.

4.Accept the terms and conditions, and then tap Continue.

5.Tap the plus sign on the app home screen.

The app searches for printers connected to the network.

• If you have one or more printers already connected to the wireless network, tap the printer you want to use.

If you are setting up a new printer on the network, tap Add Printer or Set up a new printer, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the printer setup.

   note:

If you have an Android OS 7 (Nougat) and later device and are unable to complete the printer setup, turn off cellular data temporarily, and then try again.

Refer this article to know more information about printing and using the smart app.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps! 
Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am use the app that you suggested. The problem is the tray that the app chooses and has no option to switch to another one. The Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw has two tray, tray 1 doesn't have any paper, you feed it by hand one at a time, Tray 2 has room for some paper.

When I installed HPLIP and cups on my Linux systems it also for some stupid reasons defaulted to Tray 1 but it was easy to change it to tray 2. On the Android app there is no way to force it to use Tray 2. The funny thing is that if I check with Google Chrome on the phone I see the setting to have Tray 2 as the default Tray as I set it on my Linux system.

I have those Operating systems and they all work with fine with this printer. None of them insist on using Tray 1 unless I tell them to.

The Android used by AT&T is version 7.

1-Centos Linux

2-SuSE Linux

3-Gentoo Linux

4-Ubuntu 16.04

5-Fedora 26

6-Arch Linux

7-Mint Linux

Michel

HP Recommended

@MichelCat, It's great to hear from you again.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

What is the android version you are running on your smartphone?

Did you install the HP print service plugin on your device after you installed the HP smart app?

Try printing using the HP smart app on a different Android device running 6.0 or lower OS and check if you are able to select the tray.

If you are able to print on a different device. You have to wait until the next version of HP smart app is released.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Since you are of no help I am removing the app from my phone. I have no other android device to use. Android 7 is what AT&T is using and they are not likely to downgrade anytime soon.

It is not that important as long as it works on my Linux system. I bought that printer because HP usually has good support for Linux where I do all my work. I didn't realize that the support on android was useless otherwise I would have bought a competitive product.

I just thought of adding some convenience when I wanted to print from the phone but since your app is too buggy I will have to use one of my Linux systems to print.

Michel

HP Recommended

@MichelCat, Thanks for your response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you still have issues selecting tray using HP smart app.

Try selecting tray 2 from printer control panel and make it default and try printing from HP smart app and check if it prints.

1. From the Home screen on the product control panel, touch the Copy button.
2. Touch the Settings button, and then scroll to and touch the Paper button.
3. From the list of paper sizes, touch the name of the paper size that is in the tray.
4. From the list of paper types, touch the name of the paper type that is in the tray.

Refer the printer user guide for more information.

Note: Refer page 126 for more information.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.