Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
ENVY 4500e
Windows 7

The manual for my ENVY 4500e is pretty sketchy. Does it go into sleep mode if I leave it turned on? My Desk Jet 932C would not have to be turned on for it to print. It automatically turned on when it got a print job. This one is being sent jobs wirelessly, but I would have to go turn the power on first and then send it a print job. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @kodak_jack,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! 🙂  I see you are interested in the Sleep Mode behaviour of your HP Envy 4500e, you must turn the printer off and then back on after it enters sleep mode to print. You would like it to just wake up automatically when a print job is sent.

Taking a look at your User Guide on page 8, it states:

Auto-Off is automatically enabled by default when you turn on the printer. When Auto-Off is enabled,

the printer will automatically turn off after 2 hours of inactivity to help reduce energy use. Auto-Off

turns the printer off completely, so you must use the On button to turn the printer back on. For printer

models with wireless or Ethernet network capability, Auto-Off is automatically disabled when the

printer establishes a wireless or Ethernet network connection. Even when Auto-Off is disabled, the

printer enters Sleep mode after 5 minutes of inactivity to help reduce energy use.

You can change the Auto-Off setting from the control panel.

To change Auto-Off setting

1. From the Home screen on the printer display, select Preferences.

NOTE: If you do not see the Home screen, press the Home button.

2. From the Preferences menu, select Auto-Off.

3. From the Auto-Off menu, select On or Off, and then press OK to confirm the setting.

Once you change the setting, the printer maintains the setting.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @kodak_jack,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! 🙂  I see you are interested in the Sleep Mode behaviour of your HP Envy 4500e, you must turn the printer off and then back on after it enters sleep mode to print. You would like it to just wake up automatically when a print job is sent.

Taking a look at your User Guide on page 8, it states:

Auto-Off is automatically enabled by default when you turn on the printer. When Auto-Off is enabled,

the printer will automatically turn off after 2 hours of inactivity to help reduce energy use. Auto-Off

turns the printer off completely, so you must use the On button to turn the printer back on. For printer

models with wireless or Ethernet network capability, Auto-Off is automatically disabled when the

printer establishes a wireless or Ethernet network connection. Even when Auto-Off is disabled, the

printer enters Sleep mode after 5 minutes of inactivity to help reduce energy use.

You can change the Auto-Off setting from the control panel.

To change Auto-Off setting

1. From the Home screen on the printer display, select Preferences.

NOTE: If you do not see the Home screen, press the Home button.

2. From the Preferences menu, select Auto-Off.

3. From the Auto-Off menu, select On or Off, and then press OK to confirm the setting.

Once you change the setting, the printer maintains the setting.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I want to turn off the automatic shut down, as it uses too much ink to clear the nozzles  every time I turn it back on.  Ink is too expensive to waste this way. My Envy  4520 touch screen has no preferences, as noted in the comment above. How can I really turn this annoying auto shut down off?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.