Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
COLOR LASER JET PRO M181FW

Hello guys.

I'm into my second week of working from home  here in Northern italy. I guess you can understand why.

I brought home my company issued HP Elite Book. I have no admin credentials and my IT has little or no opportunities to assist me when I am not physically plugged into the office LAN.

On my last working day I stopped over at MediaWorld and bought an HP multifunction COLOR LASER JET PRO  MFP M181FW.

Not being allowed to install drivers on my notebook I did all the configuration via HP Smart from my iPad. Everything worked nice but I am getting  more and more trouble with  "error 79 service error. turn off then on"

what have I done so far

• I performed (several) printer reset(s)
  • I removed surge protection and plugged the printer to a wall outlet as suggested.
  • I replaced the power cord (the one in the box had too many sharp hairpins)
  • the printer is close to the wifi source (a popular even if aging D-LINK DSL 2740R
  • the printer firmware rates my network signal as "excellent"

I am still getting the same error over and over again. It did not happen in the first couple of days. It should not be related to my computer not having drivers installed since I did everything through the HP App and I am getting the same issues with my wife's Surface, one iPad and three iPhones.

According to the HP website troubleshooting guidelines I still have two options to explore:

• The device needs to be serviced (hopefully not, in the middle of a lockdown)
  • the firmware needs updating

I am open to suggestions and I thank you in advance for any help or suggestion you may provide. The main issue is that in lack of admin privileges I can only communicate with my device via wifi. 

thanks a lot and sorry for the challenge I am throwing at you.

cheers!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If possible, I would recommend connecting it physically with a USB or ethernet cable to update the firmware. It may be an issue doing it wirelessly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Sunday 3/22. Update.

I registered my printer on Hpeprint.com and discovered I can search and download firmware updates straight from the printer. It gets stuck in the middle of the download  and gives me the usual "79 service error. Turn off then on"

Upon every restart the device seems slower in loading its OS or whatever runs it.

I will try the call center, but suggestion will always be welcome.

cheers

HP Recommended

79 & 49 errors are usually a print job the printer cannot process correctly due to a problem in the job (typically a font). Cancel all print jobs in the printer's print queue on your computer, then restart the printer. It should come up Ready now. If it doesn't let me know. Now you can try sending the firmware update and see what happens.

HP Recommended

thanks. I will try immediately and I will come back to you.

HP Recommended

Ok.

There's no physical connection between my computer and the printer. I print via HP Smart. The HP Smart app has no queue/spool. It process print jobs sequentially and discards them if unsuccessful.

The queue is empty.

The printer display only enables setup options (no print job management)

Firmware update keeps on stalling and I get a 79

doesn't look good 😞

HP Recommended

How are you sending the firmware update to the printer? Are you physically connected when you do that or trying to use the HP Smart App (which may be the problem). You may need to be physically connected for it to work correctly.

HP Recommended

Hi. The printer is connected to my home wifi.

On its control panel you can chosse from a menu Setup menu Service>Laserjet updates>look for updates now?

Afer a few seconds you get Updates found>download now?

And once you agree the display reads Downloading....

20 swconds into the process and bang. 79

HP Recommended

If possible, I would recommend connecting it physically with a USB or ethernet cable to update the firmware. It may be an issue doing it wirelessly.

HP Recommended

thanks, I guess i's that's my best choice. I see no USB plugs on the back of the printer, but there's an ethernet port. I should hae a cable somewhere in the garage... 😉

later.

HP Recommended

Problem solved.

I connected the printer to my computer with the USB cable. Downloaded the firmware update but could not send it to the printer without admin password. 

but strangely enough it's working now. I am just using e-prints (which did not work before) and I am happy enough.

thanks for your time and effort!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.