Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M15W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I print a #10 envelope, only the bottom couple of lines of the address print and these are on the edge of the envelope rather than the center.  If I put letter paper in the printer, the full address prints but on the left edge of the page.  I did set the software at envelope and it looked fine on the software preview.  How do I get it to print in the middle, where the envelope is?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Michael23_1

I cannot answer definitively - much depends on the printer (how the envelope is loaded, example) and everything else depends on the software you are using to create and print the envelope.

Some programs / software get along (cooperate) with the various printer software than do others.  For example, Microsoft Word is pretty good about working with printer software; other programs (from various merchants) may - or may not - be able to produce the expected results.

I can offer the following limited advice on the subject of printing envelopes.

Caveat:

• I do not have a Laser Printer. 
  • The details I know about your product are a result of checking the User Guide and How-to documents.

Load Envelopes

User Guide > Envelope Orientation - Page 13

Microsoft Word can be used to print an envelope.

The following visual examples show the basics.

Remember to test / adjust the "Feed" setting.

Example 1 - Custom Size A9 envelope

Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_A9_2Rabbits_and_Chickens_Test_Envelope_A9_2

Example 2 - #10 Envelope - Move return address

Custom_Envelope_Word_Return_Address_1Custom_Envelope_Word_Return_Address_1 

Documents and References

Product Specifications for the HP LaserJet Pro M15w Printer (W2G51A)

User Guide

How to > topic Print > subject list Instructions & Settings

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP LaserJet Pro M15w Printer

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, D-F.  But even using the mailings/envelopes feature of Microsoft Word and checking the options carefully, the printing still comes out far to the left rather than in the middle where the envelope feeds into the printer.  I have not had this problem with other HP printers, just with my new M15W.

HP Recommended

@Michael23_1

That is not entirely unexpected.  Although I cannot reproduce the problem on either of my Officejet Pro printers, there is definately something amiss in the way your printer is handling the envelope setup.  There is perhaps something going on with hidden margins or the destination placement algorithm.   Honestly, I don't know.  

I tried - unsuccesfully, I admit - to help someone who was trying to manually create a #10 envelope for the purpose of using a company icon / fancy font - "something" in the return address.  Nothing worked, not using standard envelope methods, not creating a managed text box to corral the return address  information.   I suggested (and provided an example for)  a new Style for the Return Address (to create a "box size" for the return address.  The return address was cut off on the left.

Rats.

I think I am missing something singular and significant, perhaps about the setup steps.  Grumble, mutter, pound mouse on desk.

As a reference, the following was tried (perhaps you will have more success using this work around):

Envelope_10_Manual_1Envelope_10_Manual_1 

Manual_10_Envelope_2Manual_10_Envelope_2

I will have to think a bit on this.  I think I do not yet know enough about envelopes.

You should perhaps ask HP Tech Support - they are actually supposed to support the hardware only for a basic printer warranty - but a brand new printer should be able to print envelopes and it is worth asking to make sure the printer is not at fault.

Have the following ready / completed when you contact Hp Tech Support:

1. Installation of the Full Solution Software (printer software)
  2. Installation of the Printer Firmware 
  3. Serial Number (do not post that information here)

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information here).
  • In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.
  • Chat is not available in every region.

In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• USA / Canada: HPdisplays regional contact information after you submit an online case.  Use the serial number of the device to submit the case to HP.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option:  Contact HP Technical Support - Regions

USA / Canada

1. Submit information / case online: HP Customer Support
  2. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Contact HP Tech Support on your Browser

Open Browser to HP Technical Support

Select Contact Support or Business Support

• Follow the prompts.

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks again, D-F.  I took your advice and did a chat with HP support.  After some time, the person said that the problem was that I'm using #10 envelopes and the printer only supports C5 or DL envelopes.  After this chat ended, I checked the user guide and found that it's perfectly fine to use #10 envelopes with this printer.

So I did another chat and this person took over control of my computer.  But still the printing came out far to the left rather than in the center where the envelope loads.  This was using Microsoft Word Mailings/Envelopes, as you suggested.  I explained that my problem first arose using other word processing software (WordPerfect -- yes it still exists!) and so it couldn't be a problem with Word, but must be the printer.  But the chat person concluded that the problem was with the Microsoft Word nonetheless and said I should reload the software.  The session then ended abruptly and I'm not sure why.

So, for now I'll just address envelopes with a pen.  Does anyone remember what a pen is?

HP Recommended

@Michael23_1

I rarely disagree with the assessment given by an agent.  

I do believe that there are (still) reasonable avenues of inquiry.

The following is a long bit of verbiage - read or not depending on whether you are still interested in the issue.  Smiling.

Sick of Envelopes...

An alternative, by the way, is to purchase some labels and print those - any printer that can handle label paper can print labels.   In fact,  even if you do not use the labels in the printer, if your handwriting is as bad as my own, hand writing an address on a label is a simple means of making sure the address is both correct and legible without risking an envelope to the process of hand-scribbles.

Specifications > Paper Handling

Paper handling

Input capacity
Up to 150 sheets
Output capacity
Up to 100 sheets
Media sizes supported (metric)
A4; A5; A6; envelopes (C5, DL); custom
Media sizes supported (U.S. standard)
Letter, envelopes (No. 10); custom
Media sizes, custom (metric)
105 x 148 to 216 to 297 mm
Media sizes, custom (U.S. standard)
4.13 x 5.83 to 8.5 x 11.69
Media types
Plain paper, envelope, postcard, Label
Media weight supported (metric)
65 to 120 g/m²
Media weight supported (U.S. standard)
17 to 32 lb

There are a variety of methods you can use to print labels:  Avery Design and Print (free), HP Photo Creations, Word

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Labels_Business-Cards_Cards

Print Labels, Business Cards, Cards, Booklet

*****************************************************************

Envelopes!

Commentary 

The instructions for printing envelopes as described in the How-to document do not depend on Word, nor Word Perfect.  In fact, the instructions use WordPad as an example.  WordPad is certainly a Microsoft invention; the software is in no way dependent on your having Office installed on your computer.  (WordPad is built into Windows.)

Reference:  Printing Envelopes (Windows)

Most importantly:

Is your Windows 10 installation supported on your computer?

For example, are there software and drivers for your computer brand and model for Windows 10?

If no, Windows 10 is not fully supported, then it is likely that the Windows file system infrastructure itself is not fully supported.  This happens when a computer that was not intended to run Windows 10 has been upgraded / migrated to Windows 10 in spite of the lack of model support for the change in Operating System version.

If Windows 10 is not fully supported on your computer, there may be gaps in the File System, that is, missing libraries and / or perhaps missing or out-of-date support files that provide the "under pinning" for the full operation of other software. 

There is no easy fix for this, though, it is sometimes possible to fill in part of the necessary File structure by installing vendor provided drivers and software.  For example if the computer manufacturer does not provide the driver / software for your computer's network, you might find a Windows 10 compatible driver at the site who manufactured the network card.

One issue (of many) when the Operating System has been migrated beyond the supported version, it is more difficult to prove the underlying cause of problems.

If yes, Windows 10 is fully supported, then at least anything you try has a better chance of having a positive impact on the system.

Consider / Try

Make sure that your Windows Updates are indeed up to date

Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update > Check for updates

If any updates are found and installed, Restart the computer and log in (even if the Restart is not demanded by Windows)

Computer Software and Drivers

If you are using an HP computer:  

Make sure that your HP Software and Drivers are up to date

How you do this depends on the model of the computer (business or consumer)

• Business class computers can use SDM (Softpaq Download Manager) software to check / update the system
  • Consumer grade computers typically depend on manual updates or HP Support Assistant

If you are using other than an HP computer:

• Use the appropriate update software to ensure your computer's software and drivers are current

After you install any updates, Restart the computer and log in (even if the Restart is not demanded by the Update)

Restart everything, including the router and other devices connected to the network

In detail, when it is time to Restart the printer, follow the step for the simple Reset in the document:

Paper Jam Error

Step 2

Update the Printer Firmware

If you have not done so for awhile, consider updating the printer Firmware.

HP Laserjet Pro M14w-M17w print Firmware Update Utility.

READ all the information before installing Firmware - adhere to any requirements (Installation instructions)

Load Envelopes

Load six to ten envelopes in the tray to ensure the sensor will "see" the stack.

User Guide > Envelope Orientation - Page 13

LaserPrinter_M14-M17_Load_Envelopes_1LaserPrinter_M14-M17_Load_Envelopes_1

Follow the instructions to print an envelope

For the purpose of this exercise, try using WordPad.

Regardless of all else, the envelope size is supported and WordPad is not impacted by the installation of Office.

Caveat

I do not know whether you can change the feed instructions using WordPad.  This might be important since this printer requires envelopes to be loaded "face up".

NOTE

If you are reticent about using yet more of your envelopes for yet another test (and who can blame you), cut out some paper in the size of the #10 envelopes, (with a pen) draw boxes on the front side of the paper indicating the approximate location of the return and delivery addresses.  Load the paper as you would load real envelopes.

Printing Envelopes (Windows)

And... report back what happens. 

Be sure to include whether your computer fully supports Windows 10.  Further inquiry does depend on the computer supporting the installed Operating System.

As well, for my information, can you tell me which version and type of Microsoft Office you have installed?

Example:  Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019

Include any other comments that you believe are relevant, too.  

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, once more.  I tried a number of your suggestions -- unplugging printer, updating printer firmware, restarting computer.  I think I'll give it up for now.  I don't need enough envelopes to make further effort worthwhile.    

HP Recommended

@Michael23_1

Hate Spell check - corrected the grammar...

You are welcome.

Understood.

Let us know later if you want to try again - start a new thread, please.  If you reference this thread (or the fact that you had a previous thread on the topic, it will remind whomever picks up the inquiry to check your previous activity with us.

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have a new M15W. I bought it specifically for envelopes last week. It works fine with Stamps.com but I get an error telling me it can't print envelopes from Word.  I tried everything suggested below except re-installing Word (which I am not going to do as it works fine with the other printer). My printer's default is set to #10 envelopes. Since it works with Stamps.com, I am thinking the issue has to be with Word.  I have another HP that I use that takes #10 envelopes just fine (I just don't want to have to continually change paper with envelopes thus the M15W). What gives?  Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.