Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M426dw

Hello, I've spent literally half a day trying to get this printer to work correctly.  I've been trying to install it but it always gets stuck at 99% after about 15mins and says 'An install operation took too long.  This is a fatal error'.  I did what it asked and restarted the computer but to no avail.  I've been round several help forums and tried every suggestion that people could come up with, like deleting all other drivers, clean reboot(?).  I've used the CD, I've used the internet driver download, I've used colourful language, and still, after about 10 goes, it gets stuck on 99%.  I've even tried it on multiple computers and still the same thing happens!

And here's the funny bit...It had downloaded the first time!! Haha! I went into word to see if the printer was there and there it was, sitting proudly and slightly mockingly in the printer box.  I've printed stuff off and it works great.  Except:

The auto duplex feature does not work.  It insists I use only manual duplex, which basically consists of shoving the one sided document back in the feeder, pressing OK then hoping for the best.  This never ends well.  Usually one side is upside down or printed over the top of eachother, like an alien language.  I thought the fault may have rested with me for buying a printer that doesn't have an auto duplex feature, in which case I would have shot putted it out of a window, but having checked, this printer does have automatic duplex.

So can anyone help me make this wonderful machine work?  As you might be able to tell I am at my wits' end!

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,
Make sure the Automatic Duplexing option is enabled for the print driver as following:

Enter Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
Right click the printer icon, then click Printer Properties.
Click the Device Settings tab.
Set the Automatic Two-Sided Duplex Accessory as installed and click OK to save the change.

Now Automatic Duplexing should become available.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
When a machine that has a duplexer insist on doing manual duplexing that is a driver issue.

If you look through the global settings you will see that there is a area where you can look at installed options and you will find probably that he doesn't know the duplexer is installed.

When you find the list of installed options it's generally a drop down and you can quickly tell the printer that it has a duplexer and then it will be quite happy to print 2-sided.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,
Make sure the Automatic Duplexing option is enabled for the print driver as following:

Enter Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
Right click the printer icon, then click Printer Properties.
Click the Device Settings tab.
Set the Automatic Two-Sided Duplex Accessory as installed and click OK to save the change.

Now Automatic Duplexing should become available.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks Shlomi, that's fixed it!

HP Recommended

Thanks Mr Thompson for your suggestion, although being nearly computer illiterate I fell at the first hurdle and couldn't locate 'global settings'.  Many thanks for your time though, I do appreciate it.

HP Recommended

I tried this for my 7410xi HP All-in-One Printer but it didn't give me any option for automatic duplex printing in the settings, so your suggestion didn't work for my printer.:smileysad:

HP Recommended

This solution is not working on my officejet 4650. After I change the duplexer setting to installed, it goes right back to uninstalled

HP Recommended

@APD12

Thank you for using HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.