Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Ever since the Nov 2020 firmware update the printer has been stuck in a 79 Service Error Boot Loop. It has been impossible to get help from HP so far as our "warranty has expired", but this has nothing to do with the warranty.

We tried all the basic steps of turning off/on

Unplugged all cables, plugged back into a new outlet with no surge protector

No progress.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Perform the following steps to resolve the error from the printer control panel.
  1. Disconnect the printer from the network.
    • If on wired network: Unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the printer.
    • If on wireless network: Power off the router.
  2. Turn off the printer, wait for 30 seconds, and turn on the printer.
    If the printer is in ready state, disable the IPv6 feature from the control panel as follows:
    1. Go to Setup, then Network Setup, and then Network Services.
    2. Tap IPv6, and then Off.
  3. Turn off the printer, wait for 30 seconds.
  4. Turn on with the network connection enabled.
If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Tada!  Thank you Repairatrooper for this tip.  I had the same problem here with Win10.  The printer worked on a wired connection with a fixed IP of 10.0.0.80 just fine until about two weeks ago.  Then it got into that "79 ServiceError Boot Loop".  I then switched it to wireless with the same IP address and it worked fine.  The wireless connection was not the best quality and I really wanted to get it back to wired.  I was able to access the printer via its web services at 10.0.0.80 and I disabled ipV6.

VOILA!!  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.