Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro MFP M277dw
Linux

This started as figuring out why the display is blank (New network and display is blank). After some troubleshooting I think I found the problem (caused by a thunder). Now the question is: is this worth trying to fix it or is the board itself probably damaged? The formatter board (B3Q10-60001) is a hard-to-get part now. Both in Europe and Americas.

If it's worth a try, does anyone have any idea about the value of the resistors(?) R206 and R91?

formatter.jpgformatter.jpg

I'm an embedded SW designer from Finland, and I've nothing to do with HP - other than buying HP products every now and then for my personal use.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't know this specific model (I fix bigger ones), but is there an engine test button somewhere in this printer?

If there is, what are its results? If the results are fine, then fixing/replacing the formatter may worth the while. If not, there is more damage in the printer and probably not worth fixing it. 

If you have electronic skills (eg soldering etc), then trying to fix the formatter wouldn't be a bad idea. However, I don't know if you could successfully do that or you would waste more money/time on this.

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.

Personally i would not try to repair this board.IF you suspect lightning damage the chances are that the damaged is more than you can see.Replacing this part should be a better option.Hope this helps.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

I guess that's the case. The thunder hit through an ADSL-modem, though - via phone lines.

The ADSL-modem was toasted.

It's just that the board is quite hard to get.

I'm an embedded SW designer from Finland, and I've nothing to do with HP - other than buying HP products every now and then for my personal use.
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.

Maybe try to order from here.The part no that is on the picture does not seem to be correct.Do contact HP for the correct parts that you may need.

Order genuine HP parts or accessories at www.hp.com/buy/parts.

Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

The board is not available in the HP parts store, nor in any European company found in HP list of partners. It's not available in Canadian partner companies, and only one US partner company sells remanufactured boards. Haven't check Africa or Asia yet. This is the list I've used, and this. (Actually they were in one long page that I don't seem to be able to find now.)

The part number is correct. From the repair manual:

"Formatter kit part numbers
B3Q10-60001 Formatter PCA with instruction guide, M274, M277n
B3Q11-60001 Formatter PCA with instruction guide, M277dw"

Even if I have M277dw, the board has the sticker saying B3Q10-60001.

This is what Parts Stote tells...

I took it off from my 11 months old printer two days ago. The printer has fax, WiFi and duplex.

HP Recommended

Hi turboruuvi,

You may find formatter board in ebay, like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B3Q10-60001-HP-Color-LaserJet-MFP-M277dw-Formatter-Board-WIFI-Card-Networ...

I hope this may help you,

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

Yes, I just would like to be sure it's not a pirate part.

There are also Chinese sellers that claim to sell genuine parts with about the same price than the US company (HP partner).

I'ts quite more expensive to order from US at the moment (the customs war and higher tariffs: 25% extra ).

But you think, too, that trying to fix the board is very probably waste of time?

HP Recommended

I don't know this specific model (I fix bigger ones), but is there an engine test button somewhere in this printer?

If there is, what are its results? If the results are fine, then fixing/replacing the formatter may worth the while. If not, there is more damage in the printer and probably not worth fixing it. 

If you have electronic skills (eg soldering etc), then trying to fix the formatter wouldn't be a bad idea. However, I don't know if you could successfully do that or you would waste more money/time on this.

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
HP Recommended

Well, I'm not good at it, but I can solder. This far the worst has been 12-pin connector with 1,25 mm raster (picoblade).

The engine test page prints fine. It's done by opening and closing the front door 4 times (5 times uses duplex).

(I just love the diagnostic capabilities HP puts in their products, and the repair/diagnostics manuals.)

I think the most challenging thing would be finding out the component values for R91 and R206.

Especially R206 seems to be toast.

What I'm worried about is the spark mark next to R91. If tracks are damaged, changing components is waste of time.

HP Recommended

A status update:

I ordered a new formatter board from the far east. I got it today, and now I have a working printer again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.