Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 4000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use the driver that comes with Windows 10 but I cannot duplex; or print muliple copies. I also lose the printier (ip address ) from time to time when I turn the printer off then back on after a day or 2 and have to reinstall.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For the duplex issue:

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some (Windows) drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

For the multiple copies issue:

Resolution is (possibly) to disable Mopier mode in the printer driver properties.

For example (albeit for a different printer model) see https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/PageWide-Pro-Will-not-Print-More-than-One-Copy/m-p/604...

For the IP-address issue:

The symptoms perhaps suggest that the IP-address is obtained by the printer via DHCP.

Consider setting up a static ip-address, within the reserved range of the router / server. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

For the duplex issue:

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some (Windows) drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

For the multiple copies issue:

Resolution is (possibly) to disable Mopier mode in the printer driver properties.

For example (albeit for a different printer model) see https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/PageWide-Pro-Will-not-Print-More-than-One-Copy/m-p/604...

For the IP-address issue:

The symptoms perhaps suggest that the IP-address is obtained by the printer via DHCP.

Consider setting up a static ip-address, within the reserved range of the router / server. 

HP Recommended

Thanks!!! Got the printer to print multiple copies. I know just enough about computers to get into trouble. I don't have the duplex adapter but at one time the HP LaserJet 4000 would duplex manually. I've set it to duplex but it won't. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

>> ... I don't have the duplex adapter but at one time the HP LaserJet 4000 would duplex manually ...

Manual duplex is only available if the printer driver supports it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for you quick response.  I have duplexed before Windows 10 Pro had the driver and I had to do a work-around. Do you know of a driver I can use?

HP Recommended

>> ...  Do you know of a driver I can use?

Sorry, no.

I think that you'll have to do a bit of 'suck it and see' with different drivers (e.g. for LJ 4100 ?) if your existing driver(s) don't provide the features that you want.

Check to see if there is a checkbox for "Allow manual duplexing" - perhaps on the Device Settings tab of the Printer Properites dialogue.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your help. I'll see what I can find. Again, thanks.

HP Recommended

Try to download latest version HP 4000 printer driver 

HP Laserjet 4000 Driver Download

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.