Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 4100dtn
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I installed an 8MB flash DIMM into my HP 4100 printer. The printer is only speced for 2 and 4 MB flash DIMMs but the printer does recognize the 8MB flash DIMM. Problem is: It wants to Initialize the Flash: the Control Panel message is Flash Not Initialized. Nothing inthe User or Service manuals about this. What to do? I looked for something called the Resource Manager on the HP site but found nothing.

-Stanley Radzewicz
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hugh

I have good news, I tried another solution and it seems to have worked: I deceided to give it one more try so I bought another Flash Dimm module, this one is a combination Flash and RAM dimm: C9129BA

HP OEM LaserJet LJ 8150 4MB Flash, 8MB  Web Access C9129-60001

and installed it and did the initialization and it took:
DIMM Slot 2:  Side 1 : 4 MB Flash 
DIMM Slot 2:  Side 2 : 0 MB SDRAM  (from the web browser at the printer ip)

The SDRAM part of the dimm did not take, but I already have 256MB installed, the max for this printer.

Printing a configuration page shows the same 4MB/0MB. The printer comes on and up with no warning message.

I ran the Jet Admin SW and this time the sw saw the 4MB flash and it took the initialization with a success. It shows me capacity of 3,571 (in KB)

I offered the seller $7 for the C9129BA on EBay, included shipping. I'm not exactly sure how this dimm was intended to be used except that it was for an 8150 printer: That was the clue, you had given me the parts for the 8100 series so I tried it.  the part I was using that did not work was a C9168  8MB flash.

I dont know what to do with it but now it seems to be there ok, this 9129 part.

So, what can I do with it to conclude that it is working? Is there are way I can write to it?

Thank you,

Stan

-Stanley Radzewicz

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

On HP laserjet 4100 there is one slot ( should be written on board near slot ROM os something) for flash DIMM, other slots are for a memory DIMMs. Take good care not to mix slots and mix flash and memory DIMMs they fit, but they will not work.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

No sir,  you are wrong. You dont seem to understand the difference between Flash and ROM.  ROM is Read Only Memory,  Flash is Writable, non-volitile memory.

The first slot is marked for the ROM module and the ROM DIMM must go into that slot.  If you put the ROM DIMM into any other slot the printer will give you an error message. This is no my problem.

The three other slots are available for optional memory:  One of the optional memory modules is the 2 or 4 MB flash DIMM that is used for mass storage. This DIMM can go into any other slot. The printer recognizes the Flash and sees 8 MB but it gives the error message that the flash needs to be initialized. How do I initialize the flash?

-Stanley Radzewicz
HP Recommended

Rad,

The Resource Manager functions are now included in HP's Web JetAdmin 10, and it's a half-a-gig download. But, it's free.

It's worth it. Not only can you initialize Flash and Hard Drive Storage, but also you can install fonts and macros with it.

In case you need to store some TrueType fonts on your DIMM, check out this thread, particularly the last message, which deals with overcoming some of the 'issues' with Web JetAdmin 10:

Font Storage on Flash DIMMs and Hard Drives

FWIW,  you can also initialize FLASH by pushing some combo of buttons on the control panel when you power on, but I don't remember the exact combination at the moment.

Let's us know how it goes. I've got 4 Meg Flash DIMMs in my 4050's and have wondered about upgrading to the 8 and 12 Meg ones. OTOH, you can get an EIO Hard Disk for those units pretty cheap these days, and it has a lot more storage space.

Hugh...

HP Recommended

Rad,

OK. Here is how to initialize the Flash DIMM from the Control Panel on the 4000/4050/4100 LaserJets:

1. Turn off printer and install the Flash DIMM.

2. Turn on the printer while holding both the CANCEL button, and the SELECT button.

NOTE: The front panel lights will turn on and stay on.

3. Release CANCEL and SELECT.

4. Press MENU once to the left.

5. Press VALUE once to the left.

6. Press SELECT.

7. Initialization Should begin.

Hugh...

HP Recommended

Hi Hugh

Thank you for your response. You have to be careful here, there are several different memory modules in the printer.

OK, I posted my response as below but then re-read the service manual and everything I said below is for the other initialization proceedure. You have correctly identified the HDD initialization priceedure and that is different than the one I cited below. I will try that one and let you know if it worked. Sorry for the double take response, you know sometimes its Ready, Fire, Aim.

--------------------------------

I saw that same intiialization proceedure in the  service manual so I went back and checked, sure enough on page 79, but it is not for the Flash dimm, it is for the NVRAM.

The NVRAM holds printer data like the Page Count and paper alignmant table. The NVRAM is a different module than the Flash DIMM and is not replacable, it sits on one of the other boards, not in the formatter cage. I do not want to initialize the NVRAM because then I'ld have to re-set the Page Count and other configuration parameters and that procedure does nothing for the FLASH DIMM memory anyway (I'm pretty sure about this).

I do appreciate the attention that you have given this, thank you. 

-Stanley Radzewicz
HP Recommended

Hi again Hugh,

I responded to your post about the control panel key combinations in another post. You should read that one first.

I did already download and install the Web JetAdmin 10 and tried to use it but I did not find anything about initializing Flash DIMMs. That program is so busy and has so much going on that I really couldnt figure out how to use it so maybe the FLASH initialization proceedure is there but I didnt find it (and I was timid about mucking up the printer settings accidently).  So I'm still at a loss for FLASH initialization. I can tell you that the printer does see and identify the FLASH DIMM and sees 8MB.

FYI, a bit of info, I had previously installed a 2003 (the -L version) of the firmware ROM in the formatter cage hoping that the newer ROM would see all 8 MB (previously it had the older -F version) since the 8MB modules came out after the printer was shipped (recall that the printer is spec'ed only for the 2 and 4 MB FLASH DIMMS).

Ive been looking for a pinout of the 100-pin printer DIMM module because some of them have select capacity code pins (with the aim of fooling the printer into thinking it is a 4MB module) but I cant even find that. And anyway I think the mudule info is stored in the little serial prom so I cant access it anyway.

Im still at a loss.

Again thank you for you attention.

-Stanley Radzewicz
HP Recommended

Rad,

>

> That program is so busy and has so much going on that I really

> couldnt figure out how to use it so maybe the FLASH initialization

> proceedure is there but I didnt find it

>

I agree.  Web JetAdmin 10 offers to do everything except cook our breakfast for us!

Anyway, give the Control Panel initialization procedure a try first, as it seems easier. BTW, this also works for EIO Hard Disks.

If you do decide to use Web JetAdmin 10, you'll find the initialization procedures in the Device Management/Storage/Media area, with the following options:

1. Secure Storage Erase

2. Initialize File System

3. Write Protection

4. Erase Customer Data

5. Erase Drive

6. Set Encryption

I think you will want to start with Option (2) first, since it seems to be the least disruptive. If it fails, you MAY need to erase the FLASH first before trying again.

Hugh Hood

HP Recommended

Hi Hugh,

OK, I followed the Disk Initialization proceedure and that was a bust.

I first printed a Configuration Page, turned it off put in the 8MB DIMM.

I followed the Control Panel proceedure, it then presented the Initialize Disks message, it ran for about 2 minuites or so, seemed to finish and return to normal operation but then gave me the msg: Serivce Error 49.4210 and locked up.

I couldnt find 49.4210 but I did find that error 49.xxx has something to do with the DIMM's .I removed and reinserted the 8MB DIMM tried it all again, got the same error.

Removed the DIMM and everything came up normal. No changes to the configuration page (except for the recognizing of the 8MB DIMM when it was in).

I will try the JA program proceedure and repost then.

Thank you.

-Stan

-Stanley Radzewicz
HP Recommended

Rad,

Let me suggest you try something else.

I recall that when I installed Flash DIMM on my 4050's that I at first received the 49.xxx error. The solution, in my case, was to place the Flash DIMM in a different slot.

Either the Flash had to go before the RAM DIMM, or after. I don't recall which. But it did the trick.

I found that in no manual, unfortunately. It was strictly trial-and-error.

Since it only takes a couple of minutes, I'd say it's worth a try. Obviously, as you already know, leave the ROM/Firmware DIMM alone.

Hugh Hood

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.