Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet MFP M880z [edit]
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We are hoping to buy a new HP Color Laserjet MFP M880z (perhaps 2) for our Barcoding Business, but wanted to test on a printer before purchasing new. We have tried on 2 off lease HP Color Laserjet MFP M880z with the same poor results (ser # [edit]). The barcode verification reading is +.30 (it should read at +.00 or within + or - .05) We were testing with BarTender version 10.1 and also Version 11 by Seagull Software, using Windows 10 64 bit, and the PCL6 Driver. We tried changing the color setting to black and greyscale with same poor result. We have used HP products for over 25 years and the PCL5 driver worked and provided almost perfect barcodes, but this driver [PCL5] is no longer provided it seems. We contacted an HP Tech person on the phone who said he could get a PCL5 driver for this printer but it was not available for download on the HP site. We have followed up with 3 emails to the Tech person which he has acknowledged receiving, but he has not responded. Do you have any suggestions? (We have been in the business over 25 years and have verification systems (over $20,00 in test equipment) that show the quality of barcodes) The Canon Imagerunner that we tested print perfect barcodes, but we would prefer to use HP systems because of parts availability etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You should be able to use the HP UPD PCL5 driver, it has not been updated for a long time  but is still out there. I believe the last version was 5.8. If you are still unable to locate, drop me a line and I should be able to post the driver on a dropbox link.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I appreciate the quick reply. I have checked the supported products page for the driver for the Color LaserJet enterprise Flow MFP M880 and it shows the Universal PCL5 ver 5.7.0 as the supported version.
I was not able to find the driver. Can you please provide it for me? I do not use drop box, but can you reply with a link to download the driver to this forum?
Thank you again for your help.

HP Recommended

I have just downloaded the Universal PCL5 driver from dropbox link.  The test printer is at a different location and I will probably not be able to test until Monday, but I appreciate the fast response. I will let you know the outcome as soon as I have tested with new driver. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

We downloaded the PCL5 driver from Dropbox and tried to instal on the Color Laserjet MFP M880z printer on Friday. The printer would not install. We tried auto detect, also the IP address of the printer and finally we tried USB - but it would still not find the printer. After about 1 hr we had to stop since the test printer is at another location. Question: We could not see the version of the PCL 5 driver. Do you know which version it was??  (The driver that shows on the list of acceptable drivers on the HP website was PCL5 ver 5.7.0 - do you know if this was the version sent to us on the link?

HP Recommended

The driver that I posted was the last PCL5 UPD driver that HP created. I have a question about configuration. Are you manually installing the printer by creating at standard TCP/IP port and then using that driver? If the printer is not being detected you may have a routing issue, which is possible based on your statement that the printer is at a remote location.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

We used one of our laptops with Windows 10 pro and connected to the printer directly with a network cable. 1. We tried the auto setup first, but it did not work or recognize printer. 2. We then tried connecting using the TCP/IP port and the printers network address, but it could not find the printer. 3. Finally we took the network cable off and connected the USB cable directly and tried loading the driver with USB. It again could not find the printer. The previous week when connecting the PCL6 driver it found the printer immediately and loaded driver - we used the same laptop computer, the same network cable etc. Not sure why it does not recognize now.

HP Recommended

If connected directly with a network cable, you would need to set a manual static IP address on both the laptop and the printer. Not finding the printer would have nothing to do with the driver, that is a network communication issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.