Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP F2G72A stacker stapler
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The HP F2G72A stapler-stacker accessory is installed on an HP M605n laserjet printer.
The device is recognized in the printer's configuration as device name 'HP LaserJet 500-Sheet Stapler/Stacker'.
It's configured as Output Bin 3, 500 Sheets, Upper bin.
There is no specific administration/user manual to operate the device, so I have to go by online third-party accounts of how this device functions.
Currently, this stacker only functions as another output bin, to handle 500 sheets. Print jobs from different users are stacked only one way, so there is no ability to distinguish different user's printed output.
But...based on several online reports, the stacker supposedly serves a more important function. Apparently, the printed output are supposed to be positioned left or right to keep them distinct.
The print jobs are supposed to be sorted into different stacks (note, this is the single output bin, F2G72A, not the model that has separate output bins) in this single output bin.

Following is what's on HP own site:
When a stapler/stacker is installed, the product automatically rotates the printed images 180° on all paper sizes.

But no matter what I try, output from different users come out in only the one direction, not criss-crossed as the previous statement declares.
Any assistance that can be provide would be very appreciated.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>> ... When a stapler/stacker is installed, the product automatically rotates the printed images 180° on all paper sizes.

>> ... But no matter what I try, output from different users come out in only the one direction, not criss-crossed as the previous statement declares.

I suspect (but do not know for sure) that you are misinterpreting this statement.

I think that it is a warning that the printed images of all pages will be rotated (in exactly the same fashion for each job), which could be significant if certain paper types (such as Letterhead, Preprinted or Prepunched) are being used.

I don't think that there is any setting that will cause the output from consecutive jobs to be 'criss-crossed'.

There may be (I don't know) settings in the driver to:

• Cause jobs to be stapled (hence separated, although this will only be possible for jobs of less than a certain number of pages).

or:

• Cause consecutive jobs to be offset (by between 5 and  10mm) by 'jogging'. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

>> ... When a stapler/stacker is installed, the product automatically rotates the printed images 180° on all paper sizes.

>> ... But no matter what I try, output from different users come out in only the one direction, not criss-crossed as the previous statement declares.

I suspect (but do not know for sure) that you are misinterpreting this statement.

I think that it is a warning that the printed images of all pages will be rotated (in exactly the same fashion for each job), which could be significant if certain paper types (such as Letterhead, Preprinted or Prepunched) are being used.

I don't think that there is any setting that will cause the output from consecutive jobs to be 'criss-crossed'.

There may be (I don't know) settings in the driver to:

• Cause jobs to be stapled (hence separated, although this will only be possible for jobs of less than a certain number of pages).

or:

• Cause consecutive jobs to be offset (by between 5 and  10mm) by 'jogging'. 
HP Recommended

Hi -

HP has the following online document for configuring the Stapler/Stacker

Check your firmware FutureSmart 3.5.2 provides Stapling Optimizations

• To take advantage of this feature go to the "administration" menu. At the control panel, select "Control Panel Administration Menu" under the "General" tab.

When here, select "Stapler/Stacker" then "Optimize Stapling". The default setting is "Fastest" indicating that copy and print behaviors will not change from previous versions of firmware. If wishing to take advantage of the new stapling behaviors, select "Top left". The device will reboot automatically once done.

• For Print

Whether the administrator changes the "Optimize Stapling" from default ("Fastest") or changes (e.g. "Top left"), there is no change required by the end user. They will continue to select their preferred staple from within the print driver (e.g. one staple angled, staple top left, etc.). The user will not notice a change until they walk up to the device.

• Feature Results

If stapling in the top-right for portrait (copy only) or top-left for landscape (copy & print), there are trade-offs. The staple ends up in the correct position, but in order to do so a number of other things happen as well with the most notable being:

 Documents will take longer to print/finish since they have to be reversed & duplexed.

 Documents print face-up in the staple bin when normally they would be face-down.

 Documents will have staples with the prongs facing forward as shown below.

I am an HP employee supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others. Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HP. Reminder: Please select the Accept as Solution button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the Kudos button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.

Thank you.

I am an HP employee supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others. Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of HP.
HP Recommended

Were you able to find a resolution to this?  I just recently added a CE404A stacker tray to a LaserJet 600 M602 and also can not get it to function outside of just being an additional tray.  HP Sales support identified this item for us because it's supposed to jog the print jobs, so we can keep them seperate.  I've installed it configured it through the driver, to the best of my ability, but can not find a setting outside sending jobs to the tray, nothing on jogging, etc.  Your forum post is the closest I've come to information about this.  Any help on how to jog print jobs with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chad

HP Recommended

@ChadDahlberg

The "output jog" feature I ws thinking of is one available with the PCL5 Page Description Language, using the escape sequence <Esc>&l1T , within each print job, to indicate 'job offset'.

Most modern LaserJet printers are now supplied with drivers which generate PCL6 (PCL XL) or PostScript print jobs.

These, and older models, are usually also catered for by using one of the HP Universal Printer Drivers (UPDs), but HP stopped producing the PCL5 variant earlier this year.

I don't think that the other PDLs offer the equivalent of the PCL5 jog sequence, so I don't know if 'jogging' can be achieved using these other PDLs.

Perhaps the documentation supplied with the stacker unit might give further information?

This documentation only appears to be available on a CD supplied iwth the unit - I can't find anything online.

If it seems that 'jogging' cannot be achieved, perhaps specifying a 'separator page' (printed on paper of a separate colour) might provide an alternative?

This would only work if your printer has a separate paper input tray which could be used for this purpose.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately no CD arrived with the stacker tray (CE404A) and all of the other documentation for the printer itself is too general and contains no specifics for controlling the features of the CE404A.  Appears my only option is to locate someone that has first hand knowledge of the opperations.

Thanks,
Chad

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.