Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LASERJET 4050
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Laserjet 4050 printer and it won't prnt from tray 2.  It prints from the manual feed tray 1.  It doesn't recognize the tray 2 when printing but it will let me know when the tray 2 is missing.  Any idea what this could be or how to fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toni

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
If you print a configuration page using Tray 1 then you can look and see what paper size and type it thinks are in tray 2.

What do you will probably see is one of those items is wrong and most likely it's misdetecting the paper size due to a failure of the board that senses the position of the fingers on the side of the tray.

I think you are probably getting a message on the display that says load plain paper in Tray 1 whenever you try to print from tray 2, if that is the case it should also allow you to hit the go button and print using whatever paper type or size it thinks is in tray 2.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
If you print a configuration page using Tray 1 then you can look and see what paper size and type it thinks are in tray 2.

What do you will probably see is one of those items is wrong and most likely it's misdetecting the paper size due to a failure of the board that senses the position of the fingers on the side of the tray.

I think you are probably getting a message on the display that says load plain paper in Tray 1 whenever you try to print from tray 2, if that is the case it should also allow you to hit the go button and print using whatever paper type or size it thinks is in tray 2.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

Thank you SHThompson.  You pointing me to the direction of the board sensors for the paper tray, I now have it working.  While I am not sure it is fixed permanently, at least it is fixed for now.  I know what to look for if it happens again.  I moved the sensors around a bit and now it works.  So we will see.......

Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended
Now that you've seen the little metal fingers inside the machine we will go a little further

Each of the fingers pushes on a switch on a small circuit board, and sometimes one of the switches doesn't close when the metal piece pushes against it.

Since most people only use letter paper from that tray you can remove the small circuit board and solder a jumper across the backside of the board to bypass the switch it is using to identify letter size paper.

Since that machine is an older model you can easily find the service manual on the internet but not on hp's website.

HP Recommended

Specificly on an Android Device.

1. Download the "HP Smart" App.

2. Go into the App.

3. Go to the "Print Documents" section.

4. Check off a document that you want to print (Any Document is okay this is just to get to the next step).

5. Click the Printer icon at the top of the screen.

6. Click the Three dots at the top right of the screen.

7. Settings.

8. Paper.

9. Uncheck the "Automaticly Detect Paper"  Option.

Now it should allow you to chose whichever tray you want when printing...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.