Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
m452
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I am involved in a debate about how the printer uses toner. If you have a mixed document, I assume the printer will use the Black toner for black text and graphic components, and use color only for non-black items. Someone is trying to tell me that the printer uses color all the time, even for black text. I can't find any write up on how this is addressed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Someone is trying to tell me that the printer uses color all the time, even for black text. I can't find any write up on how this is addressed.

This is correct.  Color printers use trace amounts of color for all jobs to enhance the blacks and greys that you see on the paper.  There is also a small loss involved with opening and closing the toner cartridge doors each time paper is passed through.  Even if you never print a single color job, your printer will lose trace amounts of color toner sooner or later.

There are various writeups about this subject all over the internets.  If you really want me to find some for you I can.  This is not a HP specific trait, its a result of the technology at play.  Inkjets have the same issues although they have different maintenance reasons to consistently use all cartridges to keep the printheads open and working.  The only way to truely use only black consumables is to get a monochrome printer.  If you arent using color then you may not need a color printer and can consider exporting your color jobs to local print shops instead.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

> Someone is trying to tell me that the printer uses color all the time, even for black text. I can't find any write up on how this is addressed.

This is correct.  Color printers use trace amounts of color for all jobs to enhance the blacks and greys that you see on the paper.  There is also a small loss involved with opening and closing the toner cartridge doors each time paper is passed through.  Even if you never print a single color job, your printer will lose trace amounts of color toner sooner or later.

There are various writeups about this subject all over the internets.  If you really want me to find some for you I can.  This is not a HP specific trait, its a result of the technology at play.  Inkjets have the same issues although they have different maintenance reasons to consistently use all cartridges to keep the printheads open and working.  The only way to truely use only black consumables is to get a monochrome printer.  If you arent using color then you may not need a color printer and can consider exporting your color jobs to local print shops instead.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.