Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M553
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Workstation is Win 7 64bit

Printer is HP 553 Color Laserjet

We have 4 of these printers.  For some reason, 2 of the 4 have a bizarre issue.  Randomly the printer will stop printing jobs from applications but will printer the windows test page.

Print through print server or direct to IP, no difference.

Using HP Universal driver PCL 6 or M553 driver, no difference

Restart print spooler on computer(s) no difference.

IP communication to computer and printers is fine.  Can access the web interface fine.

This is multiple computers and only 2 of 4 printers.  The other 2 never have this problem.

Thanks for any ideas/help

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Compare firmware versions on working and not working printers.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

@Valsimot wrote:

The issue printers have newer firmware.  I downgraded it... lets see if that works

HP Recommended

@Valsimot wrote:

Same issue... still stumped.

I also tried the HP universal driver and the PCL 6 specific driver... printer still stops printing randomly....

HP Recommended

Can you switch places of a working printer with not working printer?

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.