Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

We use this printer for a fax machine and copier only. It is sending and receiving faxes correctly, but when we try to copy or print a fax confirmation, blank pages are printing. We have removed and re-installed the ink cartridges, powered on/off, cleaned the cartridges, printed quality sheets, etc. The printer is no longer under warranty. What steps can I take to get the printer printing in black? It is crucial we have fax confirmation pages printed.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It sounds like the physical printing features are working as expected.  That suggest there is an odd configuration somewhere in your faxing or copy area.

Try to restore the defaults then run a test copy:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Re-Admin-password-reset-Officejet-4650/td-p/6190980

Press the "Menu" button on the control panel of the printer.

Scroll to "Configure Device" with the "Down Arrow" button.

Press the "Select" button. The "Select" button is located to the left of the printer display and has a check mark on it.

Scroll to "Resets" with the "Down Arrow" button, and press the "Select" button.

Press the "Down Arrow" to highlight the "Restore Factory Settings" option.

Press the "Select" button on the control panel to reset the printer 

If the copy works then rig up the faxing function and test again.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Hello - did you get this fixed?  I had the same problem and took me a long time to figure it out.

1.  Made sure that my ink cartridges had ink in them 

2.  With the printer on, I opened the cover to view the cartridges - the carriage moved over to the left 

I moved the carriage farther to the left and gently held it there in that position while I turned off the printer and unplugged it.  It will try to move back to the right but just gently hold it there.

3.  Then I took a half sheet of paper towel, folded it several times to size of 3X5 and wetted it with water

4.  Then I slide it beneath the carriage/print head - just under the silver rod that extends horizontally

I moved it back and forth, then I gently slide the carriage/print head mechanism to the right trying to clean beneath it.  I did the same on the other side of the carriage/print head mechanism.  

It removed some of the ink.

5.  Then to the far right down in the compartment, I saw two small rectangular cups.  They had some ink in them so I gently cleaned them out with the paper towel and dried off what I could.

6.  I left it sit until completely dry (I left it overnight)

7.  I made a copy of something and it was improved.  At least I could see the black ink.

8.  Then I ran a combination of the automated cleaning and aligning processes multiple times until the printing started to improve significantly and eventually was printing as needed.

9.  Throughout the whole process, I kept turning it off and back, unplugging from the outlet, etc. and it seemed to help with missing rows of black print.

Make sure you have plenty of paper and ink in order to get it fixed using this process.

It was a very tedious and frustrating process.  They need to invent a truly self cleaning printer.  Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.