Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP laserjet 3015
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can make copies using just the copier. However, I cannot print anything from my computer.

I keep getting this error: "PCL XL error: Subsystem: Kerne" printed out on a single piece of paper.

I've tried using a previous version of the driver as suggested here but still the same error?

What other options do i have?

Thanks,

John

John
PC Runs Computer Repair Service
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is working, WOW!!!!!

I changed the port to a "Dot" port which is another name for a USB port and walla!!! It works now.

This is fantastic, I've been trying to fix this for a couple of months. Finally!!!

It is from the video above that I was able to figure out the solution. It was using the wrong port.

In fact when I changed it to the "Dot" port it said this was not supported but apparently that is wrong since it now works.

So, anyone running up against this issue using a very old HP LaserJet 3015 (this is not the new one named the same).

If you want to get this printer to work in Windows 10 you will have to go into the printer properties and change the Port from what ever it is on to the Port label having a "Dot" in it (or USB, mine did not have USB). But "Dot" is apparently a USB Port.

So, just use the video above and change the Port being used and you'll then have a working printer!!! 🙂

This is solved!

John

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Have you tried different applications to narrow this down to either a driver issue or a software/file issue? Are you able to print the windows test page. If this occurs printing from Office, make sure you have all Service packs installed. There have been some other posts about changing the print processor the driver uses but that is usually associated with older operating systems.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

It doesn't make a difference which program I try to print from I get the same error.

John
HP Recommended

I would try a factory restore on the printer

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did a factory reset and now a few words of the text are scattered on the printed page from the original copy.

I also, just did the downloaded HP Troubleshooter and it said that my issue is the wrong Port is assigned?

I am going to restart the computer and run it again as instructed hoping that it will do something to correct this error.

I tend to doubt that anything will change, we'll see.

Anyhow, how does one correct wrong port assignment???

John
HP Recommended

I am still looking for a solution to this issue.

I can add that I can print a copy of a document from the printer itself. However, I cannot get any hp driver to make a copy from the computer.

Again, anyone have a suggestion as to fix this issue?

Thanks,

John

John
HP Recommended

Ok, as mentioned the error seems to be associated with using a wrong Port.

My Printer is connected to my computer through a USB connection. However, I do not find any USB options under the copier properties?

I did watch this video and I do not find any USB options?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlkh4tlXcO4

So, how would I correct this?

Anyone?

Thanks,

John

John
Learn how to select the correct port for your HP Printer when you computer cannot communicate with your printer or when you receive a Printer Offline error in Windows. Learn more about Printer Offline problems in Windows on our support site: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080 For other
HP Recommended

It is working, WOW!!!!!

I changed the port to a "Dot" port which is another name for a USB port and walla!!! It works now.

This is fantastic, I've been trying to fix this for a couple of months. Finally!!!

It is from the video above that I was able to figure out the solution. It was using the wrong port.

In fact when I changed it to the "Dot" port it said this was not supported but apparently that is wrong since it now works.

So, anyone running up against this issue using a very old HP LaserJet 3015 (this is not the new one named the same).

If you want to get this printer to work in Windows 10 you will have to go into the printer properties and change the Port from what ever it is on to the Port label having a "Dot" in it (or USB, mine did not have USB). But "Dot" is apparently a USB Port.

So, just use the video above and change the Port being used and you'll then have a working printer!!! 🙂

This is solved!

John
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.