Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 1005
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just hooked up my trusty HP1005 to my desktop computer which is running Windows 10 and I am getting a "this printer is in Error State" message. Can you help me to get it working please?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jennifer25

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an  HP LaserJet P1005 Printer and it does not work when connected to your Win10 PC. There is an error stating "this printer is in Error State". Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

How did you install the drivers for the printer?

Does this error popup on the computer screen? 

Are any of the lights blinking on the printer?

NOTE: If you're going to connect the printer via USB, then do not connect it initially. Begin the installation first and later there will be a prompt to connect the printer. That's when you may connect the printer.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector.
  • Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

If you notice any lights that are blinking on the printer then please perform the steps as described in detail from this HP article.

I did some research and found that there are no full featured drivers available for Win10. However, you may install the inbuilt printer drivers from the HP website. The steps mentioned under "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard" from this HP article should help in installing the drivers. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.