Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP 4515 - HP Elitebook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new Win 10 Pro install.

Downloaded the 8.6 9/21/19 Universal Driver from HP for 4515.  Setting up as a Network Printer.  Private network, Network discovery on, File and Printer Sharing on.

Ran the installer, all seems to go well, set up by IP address. Printer shows as "Unspecified".  No right click menu.  Unable to manage it. 

Ran "add Printer", but it was "not listed" so again I added it by IP.  Printed a test page OK.  Does not show in printers, but does when I go to print a document.

Went to device manager and cleaned things up.

Rebooted and running add a printer again.  This time it found the printer, so I selected it.  Now going on 20 minutes trying to add the printer.  Settings=> Printers and Scanners shows the printer and lets me get to the controls, but says it's out of paper (not!). Add device is still playing in the background.

Something is not right.  Any know issues with this driver?

No issues with Win7 PCs and older drivers.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Do not use any automatic setup for a laserjet on Windows 10. Configure and install manually. First set a static IP address on the printer and confirm that you can ping the printer or access the EWS through a browser. Once you have confirmed you can communicate, on your PC, go to control panel>devices and printers>add new printer. When the search window opens, immediately, printer not found and on the next window, click the bottom option "manually install printer". Then add printer via Standard TCP/IP port, entering the static IP address you set on the printer. Once the printer is installed, go back to devices and printers, right click the printer icon and click "set as default" You will get a warning that doing this will stop windows from managing your printer, which is what you want to do.  

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I can access the Web Control Panel and I had used your process for my second install (but see below). I used the Have Disk option and what I am not clear on is which of the dozen or so HP*inf file I want to select.

The 3rd driver install on Monday actually had completed installing, but the installer's progress bar still showed about ~80% complete. After I closed it, the printer was telling me there was no paper (do not remember exactly where). Today after a reboot its working, though maybe not as I would like. (I am re-building about a dozen PCs so this is really my test install to build out the process. I want to make it repeatable).  After another user sent something to the printer, the 2 Windows Printer Test pages from I think my second and third attempts on Monday printed.

Printer is setup on a WSD port instead of the TCP/IP Port I have used in the past. I do not understand the technical difference or implications if any.

We have had some tray selection issues in the past which have now resurfaced on some clients (Win 7 UPD 6.4.1.22169). When using the tray selection (paper source) of "Automatically Select" (default) it seems to want to use Tray 1, open or closed, even when there is no paper. I am wondering if this is why I was having issues and getting the no paper message. This is Win 10, 1903, UPD 6.8.24296.

HP Recommended

If the printer is constantly trying to use the MP tray it is either due to tray 2 or higher not having the correct media that you are trying to print to. Example, program as for plain letter and you have the tray 2 set as any/any or letter/letterhead. The tray sensors could be bad and it is not detecting paper size properly. Sometimes the drivers default to A4 which will result in feeding from the MP tray if you are not in a location that uses A4. Check the defaults on the driver to ensure if is plain letter.

The challenge with WSD is that often if you have a print error such as out of paper, Windows Print management does not detect when you have loaded more paper and it just sits there. Also frequent issues with the printer showing as offline which rarely if ever happens when using a TCP/IP port which bypasses most of Microsoft's attempts at print management. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Please clarify exactly where I "Check the defaults on the driver to ensure if is plain letter."  Everything I can see for paper in the web control panel is Plain and on the PC unspecified for type.  Media is Letter.  We have your basic 8.5x11 in all 3 trays.

Breaking info:  I had set 2 computers that were having issues with printing to Tray 2 so the users could work today.  Long story short, I just reset both and now they appear to be printing fine. Maybe the drivers default settings are an issue and that by flipping the switch they got properly set??????

I did notice today that the printers LCD display complained about a paper mismatch, so I am wondering if your comment about the paper sensors on the trays may be valid.  any idea how to check or even how to locate them?

So I am fighting windows 10 wanting to be smarter than me.  I removed all the printers and killed all the TCP\IP ports and started again.  I am not always getting to the "Find a printer by other options" page .   the first time after clean up I selected  "the printer is not listed" it went off and selected an HP 1102w on the network, the second time I ended up with a 4515 with WSD, the third time I got the option to select TCPIP.  Now I just went to install an M602 Network Laser and again I did not get the option to choose TCPIP and have another WSD device.  Fifth time I got the page again.   Not clear how to control this process.

HP Recommended

UPDATE: Appears if I immediately click the "printer not listed" link (before it populates) I can get to the "Find a printer by other options" page.  that said even if I get there windows seems to want to not offer me the option of choosing my driver and still will create the printer as a WSD printer.  I have learned that I can go in and "Add Port" to move this to TCPIP.  I can not delete the WSD port and If I delete the printer that was on the WSD port it deletes both the TCPIP and WSD printers.

HP Recommended

UPDATE: It appears that I can reliably create a TCPIP based printer after there is a WDS configured. I can then remove the WDS one.  Boo Hoo MS

Unfortunately what I have been reading is that over time this may get recreated, especially if its a mobile device and not always connected. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.