Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Can't get HP722C to install on new Win7 Pro 64bit OS. I saw a long post on HP about a "bridge" but it assumed that the driver was installed and just wouldn't work. I can't even get a driver to install. The CD won't work, driver is not on Win7, and HP won't download it from their site. They tell me it's on Win7, but I have done that dance twice and it ain't there! Anybody smarter than me know how to make this 722C work on Win7 64bit? Now tell me simply and slowly, I'm over 65!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

[Please DO NOT post multiple posts on the same subject.  As I composed this message I note you posted three more requests for the same information....]

There are actually three separate issues that will need to be addressed:

1. Most Windows 7 computers do not have parallel ports and the Deskjet 722 only supports a parallel port.  There are USB-parallel converters that can be used, but many of these do not support Windows 7.  Make sure the converter (if you need one) supports Windows 7.  The posts tagged here have models that users have reported success with in Windows 7.  The port you select will depend on the model you have, the port will typically be USB001: or USB002:.
  2. The driver is delivered through Windows Update.  Lately this has been having an issue with the update failing.  To check this do the following:  click Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Local Port, LPt1: (for now), Next, click on Windows Update and wait for the list to repopulate.  If you get an error "Windows was unable to get a list..." then see the post here for a workaround.    Once Windows Update has completed and the list is repopulated select HP Deskjet 720, Next, Next, Finish.  (Do not print a test page at this point.)  You can now connect the printer cable, then right click on the Deskjet 720, Printer Properties, Ports and select the proper port.  [I have no way to know what the port will be for your system.  Look for a USBnnn: port or check with the documentation for your converter cable.] Once this has completed and the printer shows up in the Devices and Printers folder you can continue to the next step.
  3. Next apply the patch available here that resolves this issue of the spooler crashing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

[Please DO NOT post multiple posts on the same subject.  As I composed this message I note you posted three more requests for the same information....]

There are actually three separate issues that will need to be addressed:

1. Most Windows 7 computers do not have parallel ports and the Deskjet 722 only supports a parallel port.  There are USB-parallel converters that can be used, but many of these do not support Windows 7.  Make sure the converter (if you need one) supports Windows 7.  The posts tagged here have models that users have reported success with in Windows 7.  The port you select will depend on the model you have, the port will typically be USB001: or USB002:.
  2. The driver is delivered through Windows Update.  Lately this has been having an issue with the update failing.  To check this do the following:  click Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Local Port, LPt1: (for now), Next, click on Windows Update and wait for the list to repopulate.  If you get an error "Windows was unable to get a list..." then see the post here for a workaround.    Once Windows Update has completed and the list is repopulated select HP Deskjet 720, Next, Next, Finish.  (Do not print a test page at this point.)  You can now connect the printer cable, then right click on the Deskjet 720, Printer Properties, Ports and select the proper port.  [I have no way to know what the port will be for your system.  Look for a USBnnn: port or check with the documentation for your converter cable.] Once this has completed and the printer shows up in the Devices and Printers folder you can continue to the next step.
  3. Next apply the patch available here that resolves this issue of the spooler crashing.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The reason my initial quiry was in three parts is because I was following 3 posts, and each time I ran into a snag. You say let Windows Update repopulate the list, but it hangs. Once I waited 30 minutes before stopping it. There is no HP720 driver listed. The CD won't work, and HP won't download the driver. It tells me to do it manually, but the steps they list do not match what I am experiencing. Same with the steps you give. This is all very frustrating. Technology is fine, but backward compatibility should be included so that people don't have to buy everything new just to keep up. Most people just don't have the money to do that annually.

I see where others said the steps worked for them, but it just isn't happening for me. I did obtain a parallel to USB adapter and in the devices & printers window it shows an IEEE controler or driver installed for that, but not one for the printer. Instead, it highlights a Brother printer, which I don't have.

HP Recommended

I may be slow, but I am doggedly persistent. I could not get the parallel to usb adapter to work--at least not the printer via that method. So, I got a PCI express parallel card, installed it and its drivers; then plugged in the printer. At that point Win7 found the driver for the HP722c and installed it. Then I downloaded the patch(es) as instructed, and copied the one I needed as directed. At that point the Divice Manager indicated I needed to run the Troubleshooter for the printer, which I did. It took a while, but eventually found the patch driver and gave me a green check mark. Then I went to the Divices and Printer window, requested a test page for the 722, and wah-lah. Done. Thank you VERY much for this help . . . and for your patience with a slow learner and a newbie to the forum. Ah, today life is sweet. I have been without a printer for a month.

HP Recommended

I am glad you resolved the issue, the problems with Windows Update makes things more difficult these days.   

It may help others here if you would post the model number of the USB-Parallel converter you have that does not work.  My experience with these has been poor, I have a no-name one that does not work at all and have heard of many similar cases.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

The Parallel to USB adapter cord I tried was a StarTech 10 ft 1X Centronics male parallel. As I said, the Device Manager identified that the driver/controller for the cord installed, but the printer still would not work. It was the printer problem I think, more than the cable. But I moved on to a hard card, which now works.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem about four years ago and fortunately I found your Post and was able to do what you suggested.

I was able to use my 'old Faithfull' Deskjet 722C. Since then we purchased HP officejet which I hate to use.

Last week my Pavillion's Hard Drive was wiped off and Best Buy Geek Squard installed my back disks without changing the Hard Drive. Since then all the programs are working fine, even the newer Officejet BUT I have tried to reinstall my Deskjet 722C several times and have done every thing possible that I know off and it does not print. I do not understand what else could be causing the printing problem. There is no problem installing the Deskjet, and I have installed the PATCH also just like I did four years ago.

I am not very computer savey and need some help. I have read and reread your posts and done what you suggessted several times in last four days. Bob, would you please help me?

Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Hello sabasarda,

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to print after installing your Deskjet 722c on your Windows 7/64 bit. I understand there were no issues installing the printer, however you are still unable to print. I would like to help you. I am going to post a few steps below for you to try to hopefully have you printing again.

1. Save and Run -  HP's Print and Scan Doctor to find printing problems

(This tool is always helpful to run anytime you are unable to print/scan)

2. Check for HP Updates:

• Click Start  , All Programs , HP , and then click HP Update.
  • In the Welcome to HP Update window, click Next.
  • If new updates are available, make sure the check box next to each update is selected and click Next to begin downloading and installing the updates.
  • If no updates are available, click Finish.

I hope this helps!

Take care,

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am so glad to hear from you and I am downloading the updates. It seems like it may take a while.

Before hearing from you, I did run HP print and Scan Doctor utility. My printer was listed on it and when I go to the NEXT screen after selecting the printer, the message I get says" selected product is not connected."  Which is not the case. But I am hoping the HP Updates would do the trick.

Would let you know.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Installed the Updates. Restarted the computer and tried to print . Did not work. Ran the Print and Scan doctor utility again .

It was still not communicated with selected Printer( which did show on the list on the previous page)

Do U think I should try a different Parallel to USB Adapter cable instead of what I am using now? Although this cable (and Printer) worked fine before the HD crash.

Would appreciate any help resolving this issue.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.