Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi sabasarda,

I am sorry to hear the updates did not work for you. Yes you can absolutely try another cable to see if that helps.

You can also check your Device Manager to see if there are any errors (yellow exclamation points).

To open Device Manager, click on Start and in the search field, type in "Device Manager", you will see it populate and click on it to open.

Here is an example:

Let me know how that goes!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
One thing to check would be the port you are using. Click Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the 722 and select Printer Properties, Ports and see what port is assigned. Since you are using a usb-parallel converter cable the correct port will likely be something like Usb0001:. I would suggest trying ghe highest numbered usb00n: port, Apply, OK. If that does not work I would suggest trying each available usb00n: port.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Let me expain the best I can, and I hope it will make some sense. When I install 722C with 720C driver, the printer is installed as HP Deskjet 720C and the Port is LPT1. After this I connect the USB Parallel Adapter cord and the driver for

IEEE1394 is automatically downloaded and I now get copy of the HP deskjet 720C installed and the port for it is USB0001.I download the Patch and installed it without first printing even the test page.

This has always been the case and I have always used the copy as my default printer. It worked for more than four years.

This time I have tried to Print with both ( not at the same time, ofcourse) and changing ports also. I get error message

372 in Event Viewer under Print Services when using Deskjet 720C as default.

When I use Deskjet 720C copy1 as default printer I get error 1726....The Remote Procedure call failed, in Event Viewer.

I bought a new USB Parallel cord and tried that also. Have run CC cleaner etc, manually downloaded drivers for every device, run Microsoft trouble shooting tool and HP Tools for Printer/ Printing, and no problem has been identified by these tools.

What am I doing wrong this time ?

Thanks, Bob for helping me.

HP Recommended

I had done this several times before posting here. There are absolutely no 'yellow' check marks . Even then I manually downloaded Drivers for almost all the devices.

Bought a new USB Parallel cord , tried that without any results.

I do appreciate your help and time. If U can think of anything else that I need to do, please let me know.

Thanks, Rainbow 7000

HP Recommended

OK, a few comments - just because you have a new USB-parallel converter does not mean it is better.  These things can be problematic, and many brands just plain do not work in Windows 7 x64.  I would probably stick with the original since you know that that worked.  Do you know the model of either device?  The posts tagged here have models folks have verified working with Windows 7 x64.

A new USB00n: port can be assigned every time you plug in a USB device.  I would suggest looking in Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the 720, Printer Properties, Ports and then assign the port to be the last (highest numbered) USB00n: port in the list.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The Adapter cord that had worked for me before was BELKIN F5U002V1. I got the similar/ same  Adapter cord again to eliminate problem with the cord.

There is only one port listed, and assigned to the Printer and that is USB001. Do I need to create more ports, If I can and how do I determine which number to go to?

Do you think there is something in my setting/ Resetting of the computer that I need to take a look at, since Best Buy Reinstalled my Back Up disks, and I do not know really how the computer is set up?

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks, once again.

HP Recommended

Hi  sabasarda:

I hope you had enjoyed your weekend!

I would just like to clarify the driver issue  for you. Your printer the HP 722c is part of the Hp 720 series and that is the driver it will require. Have you done a complete uninstall and reisntall of the printer. Restart your computer. Do all your windows updates and then try reinstalling. Hp recommends that the printer be connected directly into an  electrifier outlet and directly with usb to the computer not in a hub or switch.Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
First of all , thanks for the Post and helping me with this issue. The driver installed is for DeskJet 720 which it does automatically via windows update. Printer is connected directly to computer with USB cable. I also tried to connected it directly to the outlet before. I have Uninstalled/ Installed the Printer several times, but I am not sure what is considered COMPLETE Uninstall. If you can give me a few steps to follow to do that I would really appreciate it.
I do not know much about Computers. What ever I have learned it is thru' reading Forums etc.

I hope U have a wonderful (short) work week, and Happy Thanks Giving.
HP Recommended

Hi  sabasarda:

Thank you for your well wishes it is greatly appreciated!

I am sending you a link to a document that will walk you through a complete uninstall.  The title will mention a fatal error but do not be concerned with it. Level 3 uninstall click here. I hope this resolves the issue for you. I also hope you have a very short work week and that you have  a fulfilling Thanksgiving!

Please let me know the results,

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello! Sparkles1

I did attempt to do the Complete Uninstall as best as I could since the Driver software is not available on HP site. Have to go thru' windows to install the driver. At one point during the Uninstall I did get a message saying that HP Uninstaller Component is not available, please go to Add/remove devices using windows.

I also ran HP Utility to test printer. In first screen it is able to detect the Printer and status mentioned is 'Installed'. When I go to the next page where it tests the communication with printer, it asks to select the way in which the printer is connected with the Computer. I select USB ( the other two options are Wireless Network and Wired network. These do not apply to my setup). HP Utility is not able to communicate with the Printer. I have checked the RPC/RPCSS Services, they are 'Started'. What else can i check to see is causing communication problems?

I realised that my cannon scanner and Photoshop are also not working anymore after this crash. At this point I am exhausted and frustrated. I am thinking of Formatting the HDD and then reinstalling ( Not Repairing) Windows 7 from the Back-up disks that I had made four years ago. I  have never done this before and I am worried abou partitionning the HDD. Hopefully I will not mess it up.

Thanks for your time and effort.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.