Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
LaserJet MFP M281FDW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need help stopping the printing of notifications on my printer.  I do not have a option to disable notifications and I have installed new firmware and drivers from the HP Support page.  The messages are similar to these:

GET /DEVMgmt/ProductConfigDyn.xml HTTP/1.1

GET /DevMgmt/ProductConfigCap.xml HTTP/1.1

The printer will spontaneously print these messages.  I have the printer installed as both a USB Direct connect and as a network printer (I use a VPN to connect to work that the printer is not part of)

I've read through the forums but cannot find anything that tells me now to disable notifications if the option is not present in the printer properties page.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@BooleanVariable,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you're getting a notifications on your HP LaserJet Printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes before the issue started?

Have you tried to do a root level uninstall and reinstall of the printer drivers?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Please follow the below steps this could fix the issue.

1. Open the Devices and Printers folder, right-click the HP UPD, and then select Properties.

2. Click the Device Settings tab.

3. In the Installable Options section, set Printer Status Notification to either Enable or Disable.

4. Click OK.

Figure : Enable or disable Printer Status Notifications

Once done, restart the printer and check. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest the next option would be to uninstall the printer from the root level and then reinstall them by following the steps below: 

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Alternatively, I would suggest here is to update the printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Click here to download and install the latest firmware. Once done, restart the computer.

For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP LaserJet - Update the firmware

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

This response is similar to the ones I have previously seen and followed.   I did already replace the drivers and firmware.  I have done the power sequence as well.

Did anything change?   I am on a managed system so there may have been OS changes and security updates.

The description of navigation is not really correct in Windows 10, that needs to be updated on your end.   I also did not have a "HP UPD" device to right click on.  However, I went into the printer properties and navigated where I think you were referring to.

Here is the way this printer's driver page appears:

HP Printer.JPG

If I switch the driver to a Universal Print Driver PCL 6, the properties change to this...

HP Printer - UPD.JPG

Please advise.   Is there a way to disable these notifications directly from the printer control panel on one of the other HP Printer Applications (Such as HP Smart)?

HP Recommended

@BooleanVariable,

I am responding on behalf of @Jeet_singh as he is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check whether the issue is resolved.

• Open devices and printers using the control panel. 
  • Right-Click on your printer icon in devices and printers.
  • Select printer properties. 
  • Select the ports tab.
  • Uncheck the option on the bottom that says 'Enable bidirectional support' and click on the OK button. 
  • Restart the computer. 
  • This will stop the computer from any pop-ups. 

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hi i have tried this but the bidirection support box is not checked.this is the screen shotthis is the screen shotsee th attached photo

please assist

HP Recommended

@charlezk wrote:

hi i have tried this but the bidirection support box is not checked.this is the screen shotthis is the screen shotsee th attached photo

please assist

still waiting for a guru out there. here is the HP support?

HP Recommended

OK, what is the reason or origin of this message? Is the printer looking for a fax line?, or wifi connection, or is it some self destructive HP sell you stuff automatically control thing? 

Please advise, as of now HP owes me 2 reams of paper and a couple of black number 63's

HP Recommended

Of course HP did not help resolve it, however I did get it to stop. At the time I had it hard wired with the USB cable into my desktop computer. I removed that and connected to the printer via wifi and that stopped the error printing. Unfortunately, that may not work for everyone if you don't have wifi capabilities on your desktop. I have not gotten the error print since I hooked it up this way. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.