Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M252
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have toner low on one colour. I was given the option to print in black or continue printing in colour on the control screen. I chose the black option, but now I'd like to go back to colour until the print quality is no good then I'll replace the toner.

I cannot find any reference to resetting this. I have tried turning the printer on and off. I have taken out the low toner catridge and put it back.

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @paulmy,

I reviewed the super quick reply. Thanks for the response. You've displayed brilliant efforts, excellent technical skills and terrific persistence to try and fix the issue, Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

• Several HP printers are designed in such a way that the color toner and the black toner work together to produce color on paper.
  • I am trying to say that they are interdependent on one another.
  • If one of them deplete, it might affect the other. So it is best to replace the toner. You've replaced the color toner already and things seem to be working fine.
  • Please don't reinstall the depleted toner as you may receive the error message again.
  • Commonsense tells you that It is best to leave a setup that is working now rather than experimenting. I think with loads of common sense that you are gifted with you might not want to play around with a well-tested setup that has worked for you.

• Hope this answers your question. I am being honest about by not beating around the bush. It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and a terrific experience to have shared this platform with you. Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I genuinely hope the printer works great and stays healthy for a long time.

If this helps to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead stay healthy and.smile big 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @paulmy,

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with selecting the correct option on the printer to print in color. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check the printer settings on the computer and try changing it from the computer?

For now, try these steps:

• Please check the printer driver settings from this link:  https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/ish_2281139-2041471-16   and follow instructions from this option "Color and black & white settings" from this link.
  • This should do the trick for you.
  • If this does not work, please reset the printer to factory settings by following steps from the printer's user guide http://hp.care/2CTgLEO on how to do it. Please visit page #68.
  • Please be informed that the entire printer is reset to factory defaults and you will need to connect the printer again to the computer.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient. Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I received an earlier message that this problem was inappropriate for the user forum and requesting I contact technical support.

I spent around 30 minutes on the 'phone to them - two different operators - and they could not help. The only answer they had was to replace the toner catridge. So I know next time not to take the 'print in black' option!

There is clearly no standard way to reset this option. Maybe resetting factory settings might help, but maybe not.

With a new catridge I am running in colour again.

I wonder what will happen if I now replace that with the almost depleted one? It is something I should test, but on the other hand can I afford to waste my time with this?

regards

Paul M

HP Recommended

Hi @paulmy,

I reviewed the super quick reply. Thanks for the response. You've displayed brilliant efforts, excellent technical skills and terrific persistence to try and fix the issue, Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

• Several HP printers are designed in such a way that the color toner and the black toner work together to produce color on paper.
  • I am trying to say that they are interdependent on one another.
  • If one of them deplete, it might affect the other. So it is best to replace the toner. You've replaced the color toner already and things seem to be working fine.
  • Please don't reinstall the depleted toner as you may receive the error message again.
  • Commonsense tells you that It is best to leave a setup that is working now rather than experimenting. I think with loads of common sense that you are gifted with you might not want to play around with a well-tested setup that has worked for you.

• Hope this answers your question. I am being honest about by not beating around the bush. It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and a terrific experience to have shared this platform with you. Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. I genuinely hope the printer works great and stays healthy for a long time.

If this helps to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead stay healthy and.smile big 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @paulmy,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.