Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 1010
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello!

I use my old but well working LaserJet 1010 printer, which is officially unsupported (no official driver). In the community I got solution, so I have a non-official driver to use the printer. Printing pages works well. But.

I can't set printer properties. I tried from Word, from Explorer as pdf-viewer, and from Control Panel as well. Every time I want to open Printer properties, click-on-it quits the actual program (close and reopen the Word, close the Explorer and close the control panel printer properties window) and nothing happens.

Now I want to set the properties directly in the ini file if it was possible. Is it possible, and where can I find these system files?

(To tell the truth thetone of the printed pages are too light, also with brand new HP official toner. Maybe something set wrong, so I want to turn off econo mode if there is, or turn off the sketch mode or set the tone higher. And I want to do it in the system file, as the non-official driver has no setup possibilities or it doesn't work from program).

Can You help me: does it work on this way and where can I find these files?

Thank You

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@IstiHun, Welcome to HP Support Community!

First, download the HP Universal Print Driver from here.

Make sure that your printer is turned ON.
Connect your printer to your computer, you will see this screen:

Leave it to install and close it once it is finished.

Run the downloaded universal print driver file and follow the onscreen instructions.

Click "Yes"

Select "Traditional Mode" and click "Next"

You will briefly see this screen:

this screen will then appear:

Select "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings" and click "Next".

Select "Use an existing port" and click the drop down box and select "DOT4_001 (HP Print Device)"

If DOT4 isn't an option in the list try installing the communication driver from here and try again.

In the next window Select the HP Universal Print Driver PCL6 and click next.

Type the printer name as HP Laserjet 1010 and click Next.

Select "Print a test page" in order to test the printer, you will hopefully see the screen below the screen and a test print will be printed, then click "Close":

wait a few seconds and the following screen will appear, it will carry on installing with some different messages then the final message will be this, click "Finish":

Try printing and see if that works.

Keep me posted.

Cheers 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.