Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 4
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have, what I believe to be, the driver files for my LaserJet 4. It has unpacked to a directory called lj194. Now I have the files, how do I actually install this driver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was getting nowhere with this, so I took a step back and thought about it. The printer has a parallel interface, so I opened a query with the supplier of the parallel interface card as to how I could test it's funtioning... drivers swapped, no good, part number compatibility checked, okay, should be working - pull the card out, clean the contacts, okay, and it now works. Looks like some speck of dust in the wrong place has been the issue throughout. I can print again.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey there! @adrianxw, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have a driver issue with your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Where did you find the drivers from?

I have checked the records and I don't see drivers for Windows 8.

Please find the link to download drivers for your printer.

So you can try installing the drivers using windows built in drivers.

Refer this article to know how to install drivers using windows built in drivers.

I will watch your reply!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've not changed the printer. Obviously, things like toner cartrideges from time to time, but I cannot see that being significant to a driver installation.

I don't recall where they pack came from, I'd searched the net and found, what was said to be the correct drivers. The pack unzipped to a directory called lj194, the is no .exe file in there.

I'd download the drivers from you, it is not at all clear to me which from that list would be correct.

HP Recommended

@adrianxw, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

The drivers you are trying to install is not valid for your printer.

So uninstall the printer drivers from your PC and install the printer drivers using windows built in drivers.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

And I appreciate you trying to help me, but I think you are placing to much faith in my abilities to understand what you have said, before my illness, maybe true, but now, not so.

Okay, the driver I have here now is not right for the printer, fair enough, its toast.

Then you say install drivers using Windows built in drivers. Errm, okay, and that is done how?

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, I thought I had said this earlier, but it would seem not. The printer does not have wireless or usb connections, it has a parallel cable connected to a special card in the PC.

HP Recommended

Another thing I've noticed is that the driver packs on that page, a) unpack into exactly the same directory as that you said was wrong, and b) if I try to run it, Windows says that it cannot.......

HP Recommended

@adrianxw, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you have issues installing windows built in drivers.

I have checked the records and found a document which has a video on how to install drivers using windows built in drivers.

Also, refer step 3 in the document to know more information.

Please click on this link to know more information.

Hope this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was getting nowhere with this, so I took a step back and thought about it. The printer has a parallel interface, so I opened a query with the supplier of the parallel interface card as to how I could test it's funtioning... drivers swapped, no good, part number compatibility checked, okay, should be working - pull the card out, clean the contacts, okay, and it now works. Looks like some speck of dust in the wrong place has been the issue throughout. I can print again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.