Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M426fdn MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I am trying to install this device using a USB connection. I download the full installer package, run it, wait until the installer says 'plug in the USB cable' and then the install proceeds. It gets to 99% complete (exact same progress on each computer I have tried this on) and it fails with a fatal timeout error.

The device installs as a printer under Windows but we need to be able to scan to pdf which is why I want the full software suite.

This model does NOT have HP SMart Install on it (which I have seen proposed as the casue in other posts).

We are deploying these to home users who do not have the option of network installations so USB is the only way for us to do this (wireless is not an option either for performance reasons)

Suggestions please?

Thanks

GenarHofoen.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @GenarHofoen 

Try the following 

Go to the service menu > USB Speed > Change it to full 

Make sure that USB cable its less than 6 ft and you have a direct connection between PC and printer (no USB hub)

Run the installation again with the CD so you can print and scan to the unit 

back up action plan in case that fails 

Go to devices and printers make sure that you dont have anything for this printer if you do remove all of it and restart 

Simply connect the USB cable coming from the printer to the PC and let the USB plug n play do the installation for you 

As far as the scanning go to the windows store and download HP scan and capture , log in with the windows account and do the set up to get this printer ready to do the scan jobs 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/hp-scan-and-capture/9wzdncrfhwl0

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
HP Recommended

Hi Reskape

I changed the USB speed as you suggested, same error. USB cable is 4 feet long at most with a direct connection.

Installing other software to give me this functionality is not an option, what is the big problem with HP fixing this? I have seen many posts for same issue for other models so not like this is a new thing.

This is their device, their installer and a direct USB connection, how hard can that be?

HP Recommended

Did you try the back up action plan ?

back up action plan in case that fails 

Go to devices and printers make sure that you dont have anything for this printer if you do remove all of it and restart 

Simply connect the USB cable coming from the printer to the PC and let the USB plug n play do the installation for you 

As far as the scanning go to the windows store and download HP scan and capture , log in with the windows account and do the set up to get this printer ready to do the scan jobs 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution .
HP Recommended

"Did you try the back up action plan ?"

Unfortunately the 'app' option is not going to work for our setup.

I did find a workaround which is to use 'Windows Fax and Scan' which is able to see the scanner and scan to tiff or jpg, the nice thing is that then in the same interface you can see a preview of the scanned document and then click 'Print' and choose 'Microsoft print to pdf' as the output device.

This does mean one extra step (as opposed to a one hit 'scan to pdf' solution) but it works for us.

I do have to say though that if HP cannot fix this issue we will be seriously reconsidering them as a supplier for this purpose, our organization relies heavily on pdf documents and all those extra steps add up to a lot of time lost eventually.

HP Recommended

Update:

We purchased an HP Laserjet Pro MFP M127fn as an alternate device.

Guess what?

Installer fails at 99% (this is getting boring HP)

Much troubleshooting later we discover that if you download the installer package and unpack it then right click 'setup.exe' and choose 'troubleshoot compatibility' it recommends running in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

THIS WORKS!!

So HP, get with the program and please rewrite your so called Windows 10 compatible package so it runs, in the meantime anyone else out there crying with frustration because the HP software appears to be garbage please try Compatibility Mode and hopefully it will save your day 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello, I have the same problem. I have Win 10/64 bit version.

My MFP M426dw is seen as offline only. I am not able to install the software from the enclosed CD. Neither did I succeed after downloading HP LaserJet Pro MFP M426-M427 Printer Full Software and Driver  from the HP Support Web Page.  Each time, it takes 20 minutes and the installation ends at 99%. It lasts 5 minutes and after the Error Page displays.

I tried all the above-specified options. I did not manage it. The compatibility regime did not work either.

Moreover, I tried to install the device with another computer - the second one was notebook Samsung with the same WIN 10/64. And the result - absolutely the same, after 20 minutes the installer failed at 99%.

NB - the device is connected to the PC (or notebook) with the original USB cable.

Have you got any other idea how to get the software to the computer? I purchased this device predominantly for scanning and working with scans. I do not want to use the MS Fax and Scan SW contained in MS Windows as it scans to bmp, tiff and jpg formats. I need to scan to pdf versions and subsequently to use OCR and process the scans.

I also discussed this issue with our local helpline... with no relevant and helping answer.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Pavla

HP Recommended

Hi Pavla

No, I do not have any other solution to this at present.

The compatibility option has worked for me now on several machines since we discovered it as a solution.

You do need to extract the package to C: (for instance) then find 'Setup.exe' in the folder and run THAT in compatibility mode.

Does Windows see the printer and install it as a printer at the least? If not then your issue may differ slightly from mine, we were always able to at least get Windows to recognize the device as a printer.

HP Recommended

Dear GenarHofoen:

Thanks a lot for your response. I did all according to your description above.

Nothing has worked with my WIN 10/64, however, finally - after two-day troubleshooting - I managed it yesterday afternoon!!! YES!!!

This is how I did it. Perhaps much more complicated, but I always try everything by  a trial-and-error method.

- CD - impossible to install

- SW from the HP support web page - impossible to install

- I also tried the same procedure with my notebook (also WIN 10/64) with the same result - thus the problem was abviously not in my PC

- the printer seen in the PC but offline (faded) - not communicating with the PC through the original USB cable (I tried three USB ports)

- I could not see any HP folder (menu START - HP folder - it does not exist)

- then I launched the wifi connection

- tracked the IP address of the printer and entered the printer menu via this interface

- I changed the settings of the printer via the internet interface - scanning to a folder, to an e-mail, eprint and some other issues... and it works!

I also created a MS account to download the HP Scan and Capture app (acc. to info above), but it appeared that this app was not good for my purposes as it required clicking off by mouse each page I wanted to scan. 

I need to scan from the scanner to my PC (and not to jpg, bmp and pdg formats, it must be pdf/editable pdf) without running/moving/jumping between the scanner and the PC to click off every one page.

Now I can also print anything directly from my Iphone and a notebook.

Now it's great.

I would recommend to all users using WIN 10 not to bother with the enclosed CD and SW - although they are both decalred to be compatible with WIN 10. They are not!!! And the local support team knows nothing about this. They decided to ignore my claim rather than try to resolve it. 

Hope this will help to someone.

With you a nice day.

Pavla

HP Recommended

This is an easy fix...DO NOT download or try to install the 64-bit installer for any OS.  The TWAIN driver is 32-bit and will cause issues when trying to install.  Whether you are using Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit, always choose the 32-bit installer from the HP website and use that to install the MFP.  You will have no issues.  

The reason for this is that a 64-bit TWAIN driver doesn't exist (for any mfp).  Good luck everyone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.