Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M251NW
Other

First, let me say, I've read a lot of the "answers" to people having this issue and I've basically tried them all, with the exception of buying a new cable-modem. We have our own Netgear CM1000 CM that we bought earlier this year and do not rent one from the cable company. I had a Netgear AC1900 wireless router that worked great with our M251NW LJ and then it died. We decided to upgrade to an Asus AiMesh system AX6100. Everything works, except the LJ. The new router is a tri-band and the 2.4 does have a completely different name from the 5ghz. So, here's what we've tried. The Auth is WPA-personal (auto), the other is WPA2personal (non-auto). Neither make any difference. the encryption we tried both aes and tkip+aes. It has a "wireless mode" setting of the following choices. "Legacy", "N" and "auto". We tried all 3. We've tried channel bandwidths of 20mhz, 40mhz and 20/40mhz. It's set on channel 1. We tried the WPS setup with a numeric pin. No dice. We've disabled the firewall. We did not try to connect via open system because that would disable the entire mesh system but not confident that would work anyway. I printed the 'network summary' sheet from the printer and under 'wireless network config' is says, status is "not connected", wireless is "on", it does recognize the SSID, comm mode is "infrastructure", auth type is "wpa2-psk", encryption is "tkip+aes" and it has a hardware address below that. Under IPv4, nothing is listed except IP preferred address method which is DHCP. Nothing under IPv6 (all blank). On the 2nd page under enabled features, everything is enabled which includes the following; IPv4, IPv6, DHCP, BOOTP, AUTOIP, TFTP config file, DHCPv6, LPD printing, LPD banner page printing, FTP printing, Bonjour, IPP, Airprint, SLP, WS-discovery, WS-Print, SNMP, LLMNR, syslog, telenet and 9100 printing. The very last item, APR-Ping is disabled. Under the security list, admin pw is "not specified", printer cert is "installed", CA cert is "not installed", https enforcement is "disabled", access control list is "disabled", firewall is "disabled" 802.1X auth is "disabled", 802.1X encryption level is "low".

I can't think of any other settings we haven't already tried. This is a home printer not on a enterprise setup and we don't have any access points.

If anyone can point us in the right direction, that would be awesome!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CDockpirate, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue. If you have already performed the steps from the document HP Printers - 'Invalid Passphrase' Error when Using a Wi-Fi and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.