Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M426fdn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

We recently began having issues with our LJP MFP M426fdn. 
Whenever we attempt to use the fax address book, it gives us an error 79. 
I have attempted to let the printer rest with no power, i have attempted to update the firmware, and i have attempted to download older firmware but i cannot find it. I have gone through all steps that i can find online, and none seem to be the solution. (that includes clearing print jobs from all computers on the network)

While the fax works when you type the number, we do a lot of faxing on a daily basis, so having the address book is pretty close to a necessity. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Repairatrooper,

Thank you for your reply. We had not attempted to do a factory reset.

Interestingly enough, when weighing the options to do a factory reset, we came up with the idea to clear the entries in the address book within the setup menu and then see if we could then access the address book. Upon finding out that we could once again access the address book, we were able to re-input each address and now it works as it did before.

Thank you again!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You do not mention performing a factory reset on the unit. I would suggest that this would your best course of action if you have not already done that. My guess is you have a corrupted entry in the address book or fax settings and while a reset can be a pain, it is the best way to deal with this corruption.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Repairatrooper,

Thank you for your reply. We had not attempted to do a factory reset.

Interestingly enough, when weighing the options to do a factory reset, we came up with the idea to clear the entries in the address book within the setup menu and then see if we could then access the address book. Upon finding out that we could once again access the address book, we were able to re-input each address and now it works as it did before.

Thank you again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.