Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet M1522 nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This morning I noticed that the display on my M1522 was lit, but it just showed the name HewlettPackard vs. the normal display.  I turned off the printer then back on and it went through the motion like it was starting up and when it stopped 'humming' the display remained dark.  I tried printing a document, but nothing happened.  I tried photocopying a document and nothing. 

I unplugged the printer at both ends, disconnected it from my laptop waited for approx 2 min, then plugged everything back in, but it went through the same cycle as before and nothing.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Bad formatter needed to be replaced it's a known bad problem of HP M1522 & M2727.

You can try to NVRAM first then try to bake it next if still doesn't work the formatter needed to be replaced.

NVRAM initialization
An NVRAM initialization will return the following device settings to the factory-set defaults:
● All menu settings, including the fax header and company name
● Fax numbers and names that are associated with one-touch keys and speed-dial codes
Additionally, all faxes stored in memory are cleared.
1. Turn off the product.
2. Press and hold both the down arrow button and the Cancel button, and then turn on the product.
3. Wait until the message Permanent storage init. appears, and then release the buttons.
When the NVRAM initialization process finishes, the product control panel shows the Ready message.

Super NVRAM initialization
The super NVRAM initialization clears all settings affected by a regular NVRAM initialization, and also
clears the product language and country/region settings. Both settings must be reset after a super
NVRAM initialization.
1. Turn off the product.
2. Press and hold both the down arrow button and the Cancel button, and then turn on the product.
3. Wait until the message Permanent storage init. appears, and then release the buttons.
When the process finishes, the product control panel shows the Ready message.

bake

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/HP-LaserJet-1536-dnf-MFP-freezes-after-power-up/m-p/...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply.  I tried the NVRAM reset as you described, but nothing shows up on the screen.  BTW, I should clarify that when I say the screen display is dark, I mean that it does not even light up.  Nothing is showing on it, yet when I restart the printer, it cycles through like it normally does.  Incidentally, the ready light and the exclamation light does not flash either (like they used to) before the ready light come on.

To summarize,...turning the printer on/off  makes it go through the cycle like it's firing up, but the display panel and the 'ready' and 'exclamation' light don't work either.  

Thanks again for your suggestions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.