Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

My printer, which is several years old, all of a sudden has started printing very light, almost unreadable.  All cartridges all have over 50% remaining and all software is up to date.

Stephen C. Jackon
SCJ Consulting
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @scjconsulting

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having a print quality issue.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below link to fix this issue.

http://hp.care/2g3h4Dh

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have already tried most of what you suggested.

All the printing is light.  All black and colors are light.

For awhile, I thought it might be the fact that I just updated Windows 10 to Prerelease version 14986 the day before.  The problem is that I can print files from my phone wirelessly, without going through my computer, with the same results.

All ink levels are at least 50% and the last time I printed there were no problems.

I have included a scan of the pricture sent from my phone.  The whole picture, black level & colors, are light!

Scan.jpg

Stephen C. Jackon
SCJ Consulting
HP Recommended

Hi @scjconsulting

Thank you for posting back.

I recommend you to contact phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Follow below steps to contact phone support.

Step 1. Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.

I know what HP support would tell me: Because I am not using HP toner, the 3rd party toner must be at fault and I have to replace all the toner to get it to work.  After spending about $250 for new toner, maybe the problem is still there.

I have been using 3rd party toner since I had to replace the original supplies and until this point, have had no problem with the print quality.  I have been the victim of the HP firmware "update" hoax, which made the printer unusable because of the 3rd party toner, forcing me to install a prior firmware release, and stop any future firmware updates.

I use 3rd party toner in a number of printers, some not HP, and save about 65% on supplies.

I don't believe all 4 toner cartridges are at fault and could all go wrong at once.  I was thinking that the fuser or drum had gone bad and needed to replace.  I probably will have to replace the printer

BTW: I am a HP Partner and have all HP computer hardware.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Stephen C. Jackon
SCJ Consulting
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to work the issue through HP support to an acceptable solution.

I appreciate the help of the HP employee on this forum to refer me to the HP support.

scjconsulting

Stephen C. Jackon
SCJ Consulting
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.