Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

The screen on my printer has been stuck on Initializing... for the past couple of hours and I can't seem to fix it. I have tried unplugging the cord from the wall and plugging it back in but it just always goes back to Initializing.... I have seen a suggesting about removing the toner cartridge but I tried that and it didn't resolve the problem either. I am really not sure what else to try so I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi! @ashmo328, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that your printer is stuck at initializing screen.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Try performing a hard reset on your printer and check if it helps.

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE:
HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue still persists, try performing a super NVRAM reset on your printer and check if it helps.

Since the steps to perform super NVRAM reset is confidential, I will send you the steps in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Let me know if it works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I tried doing the hard reset, with no luck. It still just went right to the Initializing screen. When I did the super NVRAM reset, it did go to the screen saying Permanent Storage Int. But after releasing the buttons, the screen went right to Initializing again. I tried doing the hard reset after the super NVRAM reset but it still wasn't working either.

HP Recommended

Hi @ashmo328, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. 

As the issue persists even after performing the Super NVRAM as well.

Request you to contact our phone support for the service options available for your printer. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to contact our phone support. 

• Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Enter Product number or select to auto detect
  • Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Has this problem been reselvoed? I purchased one of these printers, returned it for another one, and am having this problem again. How do I do an NVRAM reset...

If this problem has not been resolved just tell me and I'll go with a different brand. Save me some time.

HP Recommended

@DennyCha, Thanks for your response and time.

I understand even your printer is stuck at initializing screen.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

As you needed to know how to perform NVRAM reset on your printer.

The steps to perform super NVRAM reset is confidential, I will send you the steps in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't see this envelope :Crying:

HP Recommended

HA! Nevermind I see it. I'll try it now.

HP Recommended

NVRAM reset was ineffective. System immediately returned to "initializing" where it remained. 

What now? Has anyone successefully solved this problem?

HP Recommended

@DennyCha, Thanks for your generous response and time

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after performing NVRAM reset.

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done:
Remove the toner cartridge from the printer.
While the toner is removed, remove the power cable from the back of the printer for one minute.
When the printer asks to insert the cartridge, place the cartridge in the printer.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps it is a hardware issue with the printer.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a pleasant day ahead! 

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.